Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 11 Issues

ACT 11 Issues

I've been trying to figure out a very strange recurring issue with ACT Premium 2009... v11.0.0.367.

My boss had been trying to upgrade from version 9 I believe... and ran into installation errors and what have you.  Not really sure.  It was basically just passed onto me, as he is on vacation.

What I have done:

Act 11 is currently installed.  Act 9 is completely gone.  I have done multiple uninstalls manually, through add/remove, AND using an updated uninstaller provided by Sage.  I have uninstalled .NET 1.1 and 2.0 and reinstalled .NET 2.0.

Now to the problems:

The program refuses to go to any other screen than the task list.  I can hit contacts, groups, companies.. etc, on the left and the corresponding page will display for a fraction of a second, and then return to the task list.  Another weird issue is if I try to drop down the "Tools" menu up at the top, a convert ACT! 3.0 - 6.0 Items box pops up instead.

Weirdest part:

I've had it working multiple times already, however at some point when we aren't here, it reverts back to the fubar condition.  In this latest case, I reinstalled the program yesterday afternoon, and without a reboot and without even closing the program, the thing has reverted to the described condition.

Ideas?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 11 Issues

goobernoodles,

It sounds like your Windows may be culprit.  It has been my experience that when nothing seems to work correctly, and you've done all you can, they Windows is broken somewhere, somehow.  Although not a pleasant thing to consider, it may just need to be re-installed from scratch.  This will end the problem!

MrWright

My next action was going to be a full reformat/reinstall of windows.

I'm just seeing if anyone has heard of an issue like this before.  I assumed I would probably have to go that route.  Anyone else have any ideas short of a rebuild?

Try rebuilding the whole preferences directory.

- Close ACT! and go to Processes under Task Manager.

- End process on Act.Outlook.Service.exe if present.

- Go to Start > Run.  Type in %appdata% and click Ok

- Open the ACT folder and delete ACT for Windows 11

- Reopen ACT! and test.

Gave that a shot, thats a no go.  Same problems.

I'm going to just blow the system away and start from scratch.
Copper Contributor

goobernoodles wrote:
I'm going to just blow the system away and start from scratch.

Try this first. . .

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

This is a repair -- not a complete reinstall. You will need to perform all the updates, but your porgram info will remain intact. It worked for me -- saves you from having to do a complete reinstall of all your programs. . .

Should of thought of that.  Thanks for the reminder.  Running the repair install right now.

Ran the repair install.  Installed updates, etc.  Reinstalled ACT.

So far so good, however at this point I'm not convinced yet. We'll see if it's still working tomorrow.

Wish I knew what triggered the issue..