Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 11 - Database on network drive?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 11 - Database on network drive?

ACT! must be installed on the computer where the database is to be located and the database must be on a local drive of that computer.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I am not able to install software on the network storage drive. When we had act 6.0 we just had the database files on the network drive and then opened it up on any of the computers in our office and it worked.

The ACT! 6 database was file based and the limited the performance of the database as the size increased. The ACT! 11 database is SQL server based and capable of handling much larger databases with out the loss of performance. The ACT! 11 database can't be hosted on a network storage drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Right OK, So what would be the best way of doing it?

We dont have a dedicated server here but have 10+ PCs. Does that mean that we can just have the database on one of the computers and have the other computer acts linking to the computer with the database on?

So for example I have ACT11 on my PC with the database also, and the other members of staff are accessing the database from my PC. 

At 10+ users, you need a real server because XP pro or Vista business only allows a maximum of ten connections. If you only had a couple of ACT! users, you could host the the database on a regular PC but it would be best if is was not used as a workstation.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

How come when we converted a database in ACT 6.0 to ACT 10 it worked fine on our mapped network drive for everybody?

Is there a step by step instruction page on getting the sharing to work?   I, too, am having great difficulties in getting 2 salesmen to share one database. 

Roy,

Are you still there?  Or did you give up on this problem?

Nickel Elite Contributor

The most likely explanation for the reason of success was the fact that the shared location was indeed mapped to a letter rather than using a UNC path.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

This totally blows! I wish my old, reliable version 4 was still supported!

I'm in the same boat...trying to get the new company I work for into using ACT.  8 PC's using network storage for file sharing.  So, I guess I'm screwed too, unless I want to host the shared database on my C drive and let others access it?  Any other suggestions?