Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT!11 (2009) Premium - server - client database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT!11 (2009) Premium - server - client database

Hi,

with the risk of asking a dumb question, i still try:

Somehow i'm unable to find an explanation of the database usage. 

Altough i installed SQL Server Express with Act it still creates PAD, ADF and  ALF files. Why? What data is stored in the SQL Express database, and what data is stored in the other files?

If i start ACT on the server i can choose to share the database, but when i run the install on clients, it installs SQL Express again. Why? I don't want SQL Express on the clients, i just need the connection to the database.

Third point is, i installed the server, but never had the option to specify a SA password. I can't find anything about this in the documentation. I read on some places that normal users don't get the SA password(something about it getting randomized at install). Why is this?

Regards,

(as i type this, and browse around this forum i find this kb article: kbsage

Does this mean i am able to use my own database instance(with my own passwords)?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author omnius
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT!11 (2009) Premium - server - client database

PAD = Pointer file

ADF = Data file

Alf = Log file

SQL Express isn't a database but a server, the data is stored in the ADF file.

The SQL express is installed on the local workstations to run local databases. It isn't required for access to a network database and could be removed after installation however that isn't recommended. It can cause some performance issues.

Most ACT! users don't have a need for the SA password. Read access to the data is available using the ACT! reader utility and the database can be modified by the ACT! program or with plug ins to modify the table structure. However the SA password can be purchased from Sage.. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author omnius
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

PAD = Pointer file

ADF = Data file

Alf = Log file

SQL Express isn't a database but a server, the data is stored in the ADF file.

The SQL express is installed on the local workstations to run local databases. It isn't required for access to a network database and could be removed after installation however that isn't recommended. It can cause some performance issues.

Most ACT! users don't have a need for the SA password. Read access to the data is available using the ACT! reader utility and the database can be modified by the ACT! program or with plug ins to modify the table structure. However the SA password can be purchased from Sage.. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Well, thanks, that totally answered my question.