Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 11.1 Sync with remote DB

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT 11.1 Sync with remote DB

We have Act 11.1 installed on a Windows 2008 SBS server. We have a shared database which works fine, and a remote database which we have some trouble syncing with the main DB. What appears to happen is that the Sync Service (although it doesnt appear to be separate from the main app, like in version10) stops. We manually untick "Accept Incoming Syncs", then immediately tick it again to enable it, and we can then sync our remote db without issue, until the next time!

Anyone know what we can do about it? Will hotfix 2 help us?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author fguk
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: ACT 11.1 Sync with remote DB

[ Edited ]
That is correct.  The parent database needs to be opened and accept incoming syncs enabled in order for the remotes to sync successfully.
Message Edited by dlunceford on 09-08-2009 12:23 PM

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Just for clarification, are you using ACT! Standard or ACT! Premium?

This could possibly be an issue with the sync port, so you may want try another port instead of the default 65100, such as 65101, 65102, or 65200.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Act Standard. I will try to change the port and see what happens.

OK changed the port on both client and server, made sure the ports and the program is not blocked by the respective firewalls, managed a successful sync or two within the next 20 minutes. Got a call from the salesman using the laptop a few hours later, he was still in the office, but now getting the message that sync service was unavailable.

Everything else on the server and client running as it should. Just not ACT sync.

Platinum Elite Contributor

What is the exact error message that you salesperson is getting when they try to sync?

Does the error come after several seconds or a few minutes?

What type of connection is he syncing through (network, internet, VPN)?

Which ACT! sync service are you using (Application, Network, Internet)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

They get

"ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server. Check to be sure "accept incoming sync" is enabled in the main database and that the network sync service is running. Also be sure you are connected to your network. Contact your administrator for assistance."

this happens when they are connected directly to the same network as the server, after about 30 seconds I would say.

The sync service is I think the application (there is no separate act sync service running on the server). As I said, if you click accept network sync, to disable it, then click to enable it, you can sync fine, but after a short period of time this seems to go stale again.

Thanks for your continued help.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I would be looking at Antivirus or firewall software on the laptop or possibly firewall software on the server as a possible cause. If 3rd party firewall software is installed on the laptop is Windows own firewall still active on the laptop? Also have a look in the Application  Event Viewer for server and laptop entries that coincide with the inability to sync?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Totally my issue here chaps. I was not understanding the difference with the sync services, ie I didnt realise that ACT had to be started to allow application sync. The penny dropped just now. I have installed the Network Sync Service, and all appears to be ok. Hopefully that is the way it should be done and I havent just bodged it!

Thank you all for the help.

It would appear I spoke to soon. The first time the user tried to sync they got this error

"unable to acquire sync server object.  Server Error description: Database versions are not compatible. Contact your administrator for assistance."

Anybody have any ideas?