Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 10.x reports

ACT! 10.x reports

I am familiar with ACT! 6.3 but haven't really done much with the new versions.  I know that in 6.3 the reports were limited and couldn't do "math".  Has that changed in ACT!10.x?  My client is  ACT! 10.1 user and wants reports that will do math and give him a percentage of units sold versus units available and stuff like that.  Is this possible in 10.1 or do I need to export the data to Excel first?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Doug

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 10.x reports

The ACT! reports for ACT! 2005 and later have much greater capabilities than the ACT! 6 reports. However, the new ACT! reports have a steep learning curve and I would caution you against trying to modify the standard reports.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the reply Roy.  I appreciate your feedback and concern for my ability to "customize" reports within ACT! 10.x, however I assure you that I am more than capable of slogging my way through the report writing tool.  My question was simply so that I can give my client an answer to his question before I go about testing it for myself.  Now, because you didn't come right out with an emphatic NO, I'm going to assume that it is indeed possible.  If this is not true and you were just concerned about the level of my intelligence then please throw me a bone and answer my question. 

Regards,

Doug

Platinum Elite Contributor

It is possible to do most any math you want in the ACT! reports. I was not questioning your intelligence, I was warning you that to get the most out of the ACT! reports, expect to spend a long time learning how to do it. I was also warning you that starting with the one of the standard reports was not a good way to go. The standard reports are mostly the ACT! 6 standard reports run through the report converter. As such, many have hidden scripts and poor design practices if you are planning on modifying the report template.

Unfortunately there are few sources for information on what can be done with the ACT! reports and how to go about getting the most out of the reports. To get the most out of the ACT! reports you need to know, in addition to how to use the report editor, VB script programming and XML coding. I have no doubt that you can become expert with ACT! reports, I am self taught and I know as much or more than anybody else about what can be done with the ACT! reports. Just be prepared for a long learning process.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129