Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 10.x/2008 has stopped working

Copper Contributor

ACT! 10.x/2008 has stopped working

I had some problems launching ACT recently so I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled the sw and now I am getting a ACT! 10.x/2008 has stopped working error on my pc running vista 32.  Can anyone help? I have been an ACT user ofr years going back to 2.0 

please help!!

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! 10.x/2008 has stopped working

I have tried uninstalling, cleaning registry, running in windows xp compatibility mode....nothing seems to be working.

the program was fine a week ago.  I need help!!  I really don't want to upgrade

HELP!!!

Copper Contributor

How many months/years has Act! 2008 worked on your computer?

Have you always run it on Vista? Thinking back I am not sure if it was supposed to work on Vista.

Unfortunately, when I absolutely positively do not want to upgrade I usually take the route of uninstalling and reinstalling the operating system so I am starting with a fresh install of Windows and Act (but of course with your backed up data file). I found that sometimes just uninstalling does not work...even a TOTAL uninstall.

Copper Contributor

I have been running this version of ACT on my computer for over 2 years.  I tried updating all the Microsoft updates, rebooting, cleaning up registry, etc.

I checked the services in registry and made sure all the firewalls were turned off.   frustrated ready to throw this SW out the window!

Copper Contributor

I checked the logs and most of them say stopped responding....

I did find a couple that had the APPCRASH

roblem signature
Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
Application Name:    Act10.exe
Application Version:    10.0.237.0
Application Timestamp:    46c0ebe1
Fault Module Name:    KERNEL32.dll
Fault Module Version:    6.0.6001.18215
Fault Module Timestamp:    49953395
Exception Code:    e0434f4d
Exception Offset:    000442eb
OS Version:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID:    1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    1247272788

I have not been able to use ACT for a couple of weeks now.  Can someone please help!!!

Platinum Super Contributor

Two things that may be causing the issue:

1. Windows UAC is enabled.  Here is an article for running ACT! 'as Administrator' and disabling the UAC program: KB Article 20539

2. .Net Framework 2 program may be damaged.  This is built into the Vista operating system and may be hard to repair.  You would need to look at Microsoft's support pages for information on this procedure. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

so I think the .NET framework was corrupted so luckily I was able to remove through the control panel.  I removed version 1, 2, 3 and 4.  do you know which version I should install on vista running act 10?

I don't have the original OS disks

Platinum Super Contributor

ACT! 2008 requires .Net Framework 2.0.

Since .Net 2.0 was built into the Vista OS, we don't have instructions for removing/reinstalling it.  You'll want to visit the Microsoft support site for information on that process.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I can not figure out how to get ACT working again.  I have tried to repair/reinstall .NET but I still get the ACT not responding message. ACT! 10.x/2008 has stopped working.

I am at the point of buying a new computer or new hdd just to get ACT working again.  Can anyone out there help me figure out how to get ACT working?  It has been working fine for years until the last couple of weeks where it just stopped.

Copper Contributor

As I have said before you need to reinstall the Operating System. Do you have recovery disks for your computer or did you install Vista yourself? I would start from scratch after you have all your data backed up. I would then install all critical applications. If I had the problem I would do a ghost backup of the C Drive before reinstalling Act 2008. I also personally believe that Act! 2012 is more stable than the version you have. Just my opinion.