Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 10 sync and conflicting activities

ACT 10 sync and conflicting activities

[ Edited ]
I have requested a feature in upcoming versions to combat a problem that I consider a bug, although I am hoping that it is due to my inexperience with ACT! and that others may suggest a way around the problem.

Consider a laptop user who is the publisher of a database and a desktop user who is a subscriber.

When the laptop user is offline (out on the road for example) they create an activity at 3pm for the boss. Back in the office the dekstop user also creates an activity for 3pm for the boss.
When the laptop returns and is networked again a sync is performed and as a result the boss is double-booked at 3pm with no message to alert either the laptop user or the desktop user to a conflict.

Shouldnt the sync highlight the fact that a person has conflicting appointments?

Thanks for your time reading this.

Janice

Message Edited due to poor line formatting

Message Edited by jclay on 03-17-2008 04:22 PM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 10 sync and conflicting activities

jclay wrote:
Shouldnt the sync highlight the fact that a person has conflicting appointments? Thanks for your time reading this. Janice

No it should not. Synchronization works on matching records. The activities created on the office machine and the laptop are two different records, each with its own unique ID so all sync can do is add the activity record.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Actually, it's probably not a bad idea in a sync environment, if conflict checking is enabled, for a conflict message to be displayed in the scenario you describe.

[ Edited ]
Thanks very much for your replies.

I know this thread may serve as just a placeholder for a feature request if nothing else, although people may be searching for this kind of answer and its good to know other people's opinions even if they are different to mine (and therefore obviously wrong Smiley Very Happy ).

Many thanks

Janice

Message Edited by jclay on 03-17-2008 04:20 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Thats great.

Thanks Mike