Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 10 on Mac with Parallels

ACT 10 on Mac with Parallels

Hi,

Just bought a Mac and because ACT is our main CRM, running it on a virtual Windows 7 machine witch Parallels Desktop 6. It works fine, however I'm having some troubles with the e-mail integration.

I'm working with Outlook 2011 for Mac and I want that when I click an e-mail address in ACT, it automatically opens in Outlook:Mac. With every other e-mail address (for example in Internet Explorer), Parallels takes care of that and opens Outlook:mac.

When I want to configure the e-mail, Outlook:mac (and also the default email app of OSX) is not in the list of choices.

I figured I can't be the only one working with Act on a mac with Parallels, so maybe one of the members of this forum can tell me how to configure it.

Thanks in advance!

Silver Contributor

Re: ACT 10 on Mac with Parallels

Parallels on a Mac in essence allows you to rundows a windows machine withing the memory of your Mac..  From the perspective of ACT and any other Windows programs, they only see the progrmams running within that Windows Virtual machine, not any programs running outside that virtual machine or on hte host machine. 

You would need to run Office for Windows within the Windows parralels environment to realize any Outlook Integration.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I understand that. But since there is a bridge between Windows and Mac in other applications, It looked logical it is possible in ACT too.

Maybe there is a solution?

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! hasn't got a link for Outlook 2011.

Just wondering...
What DOES happen when you click on an email?
What happens if you click on a web URL?
What settings for email do you have in ACT!?

Thanks everyone for the replies. To answer GL's questions:

- If I click an emailaddress I will get the message that there is no e-mail system configured and if I would like to configure one. If I click yes, I get an error message saying that there is no email program associated to preform the requested action. Please install an email program or create an associated in the default program control panel. If i click OK, than the wizard appears to configure e-mail in ACT!. However, the only option available (besides canceling and copying) is "Internet E-mail", not any of the Mac Mail clients.

- If I click on a web URL, it opens in the default browser in Mac (Chrome). That works fine.

- I believe that there are no e-mail settings, see my first post.

I really hope there is a solution for this...

Bronze Super Contributor

Passing a URL to a broswer is pretty straight forward, so Paralells knows what to do.

Translating what Act! says to Outlook into something that could be passed "through" the Parallels virtual veil to the "real" world of the Mac is not something generic and there for not included in the integration that Parallels provides between the two operating systems.

What happens if you put, in the web site field, something like:
mailto:test@sage.com

What happens when you click on it?

That doesn't help. If I put mailto:user@domein.com into the website field, all it does is open the domain.com in the web browser.

Any other suggestions maybe?

Then the MAC isn't reading the mailto: data correctly.

If that had worked, there might have been a workaround.

Are you sure it isn't ACT? Because a mailto: in Internet Explorer (in WIndows) is handled correct.