Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 10. - Memory Hog

Copper Contributor

ACT 10. - Memory Hog

Last year (2007) after some financial difficulties(divorce) I was finally able to upgrade ACT 2000 to ACT 10.0  (2008). There are some definite upgrades, but overall, it is basically the same program I've been using since 1989, with a few more bells and whistles. I also last year upgraded to a new 1.8 Mhz Dual Processor computer with 2 GB of memory. I am running Windows XP Version 2. All the bells and whistles as well as the new PC had me pretty happy. However, as I move forward, it seems that 2 GB of RAM is not cutting it. The sqlservr.exe and actsage.exe are complete memory hogs.

My twofold question is this... Will an upgrade to 4 GB RAM help me out, and is ACT 11.0 (2009) less of a memory hog?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 10. - Memory Hog

XP only uses 2 GB of RAM though there is a server setting that will extend that to 3 GB so going to 4 GB RAM would do little good. With the ACT! program, the hard drive speed is very important and the faster the better. RAM usage is a very slippery thing to quantify. If it is available and ACT! is the main program you run, its RAM usage will be very high. However, when the RAM is needed by other programs, Windows will move lesser used program and program modules to the swap file on the hard drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

There was a Microsoft bug casuing a memory leak that was fixed in 10.02 - make sure you update to 10.02 or 10.03.

You can also limit the RAM for SQL in ACTDIAG, but it's usually best to leave it at the default

Nickel Elite Contributor

The 10.02 and beyond versions did not fix the Microsoft defect, rather the ACT! application worked around it.  

The file hande leak still exists in .NET 2.0 Framework and you must contact Microsoft for assistance per their article:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946927> 

thanks,

-Matt 

Matthew McFadden

Sorry yes... I should have said MS helped Sage find a workaround that was added in 10.02

Interesting that they didn't roll the hotfix into SP1... BTW: from a dev point of view, are you aware of any -ve in switching from the GAC to ini? That is, now that MS has a fix, would there be any advantage in going back to using the GAC?

Also, is there any advantge in applying the Hotfix for 10.02 and later?

Is there any benefit for ACT! 2007 users to apply it? 2005/2006 used the old framework and 2008 should go to 10.02 and 2009 shouldn't be effected - but would 2007 users find ACT! better with it if not having the install issue?

PS: Love that the example on their site actually references ACT! :-)

Nickel Elite Contributor

Mike,

Unfortunately, Microsoft did not assist us with resolving this issue, we came up with a solution ourselves once we determined the core issue.  They did however, acknowledged this issue, worked on a resolution, and provided it to customers on an "as per" basis.

Not sure about your GAC question, we still utility the GAC, as ACT! continues to be a .NET 2.0 application.  What we eliminated was the huge number of policy files that we used to carry.

As for recommendation on obtaining the Microsoft hotfix, I would say sure, as any application written in .NET 2.0 is susceptible to the file handle leak that we exposed last November.

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden

Ahhh... I heard that, as part of a huge support contract Sage paid for, MS sent some dev staff to beth ACT! dev and ACT! support and found bugs they were previously unaware of in both SQL and .Net, and this this was one of them.

Which would seem to explain the ACT! reference in that KB.

The issue with the GAC was the number of policy files ACT! loaded there, which was beyond what MS had tested.

But either way, as I always try to explain to users, some 60-70% of issues people have with ACT! are actually MS bugs or implementation issues rather than caused by Sage programming or QA. Which is sad because, at the time, Sage (or Interact) decided on .Net and MSQL over MySQL and a more portable dev tool under the belief that MS tools would be more relaible on the MS OSs that most ACT! users run. I was one of a small set arguing for open systems back then.

I have opened a branch in the UK for a manufacturer in North America.  The more contacts I put into ACT 10 the slower it works and the slower I work, (I have 2300 contacts that will increase in the next year).  I have upgraded my hard drive and RAM (laptop is just a year old so was not bad to start with).  Yet - it still hogs the memory and chugs along.  I bought ACT in early summer of 2008 and have become increasingly frustrated with the delays and errors.  And, yes, I have downloaded 10.0.3 unfortunately no joy.  Can someone please offer a solution.  I read the other messages and could not find a clear answer.......do I need the hot fix as well?  Is help available for what appears to be a system error?  If this is a Microsoft error that causes this problem then why was there no info provided at time of purchase?

Confused? Yes yes I am.

You really don't provide enough information to help:

How much RAM did you upgrade to?

What speed hard drive (in RPM)?

How large is your Windows Page File?

Have you defragged your drive recently?

Have you reindexed your database recently?

What error are you getting?

Hi Mike,

As you can tell - my income is not based on my computer knowledge, however, here goes:

How much RAM did you upgrade to?  I believe it is 1.99 GB

What speed hard drive (in RPM)?  have no idea where to find thatl sorry

How large is your Windows Page File? 1524 MB

Have you defragged your drive recently? yes

Have you reindexed your database recently? have no idea what that is either

What error are you getting?  various - would need to record it when it happens just do my normal click on "ok" to make it go away and it the programme shuts down I no longer bother sending error reports (has done so twice today)

Cheers

Suz