Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 10 (2008) SQL installation problem

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT! 10 (2008) SQL installation problem

Hello,

I need your help to understand what's happen. I have just installed a new PC (DELL) with SO Windows XP.  I have installed the MS hotfix without problem.

I have tried to install ACT! 10.  The installation works fine (without error) but at the end I have the SQL server folder empty.  The same for the services, I haven't SQL server...

I haven't a CD, I have saved the software locally and then installed.

I'm locked now.Robot Sad

Best regards.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anders
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: ACT! 10 (2008) SQL installation problem

If you do not have a CD then it may be when you copied the install locally you did not take all of the files necessary to do the install of the SQL. I would go back and do the install from the CD as this will install the SQL database engine as part of the install.

You may need to do an uninstall first

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anders
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

If you do not have a CD then it may be when you copied the install locally you did not take all of the files necessary to do the install of the SQL. I would go back and do the install from the CD as this will install the SQL database engine as part of the install.

You may need to do an uninstall first

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

[ Edited ]

I would on any PC including the server installation install and configure SQL2005 express before installing ACT. This is because on lots of XP PCs I have seen the sql2005 express install fail.  I cant remember the message I have seen, its relating to cant find a particular file and it relates to a file called sqlncli.msi. This msi file has to be installed by itself then the setup is redone and sql2005 express then installs ok.

follow this article. Use the same instance name/settings and SA password on the server and PCs

How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2005 (Express Edition) ACT7 Instance

After SQL is done then install ACT, a prompt will come up during install saying that it cant logon to the SQL server just give it the SA password you put in above and it should carry on as normal.

Content edit.  Fixed link.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 10-03-2008 08:54 AM