Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 10.0 Primary File of database match error - HELP!!!!

ACT 10.0 Primary File of database match error - HELP!!!!

Running ACT 10.0.3.182 up until 3 weeks ago with no problems.  Then ACT wouldn't open, was giving error which lead to SQL server not running, when attempting to start SQL server, error messages kept indicating that from the knowledge base indicated the SQL Server and ACT should be reinstalled.  Soooo, did complete deinstall, complete removal of all things SQL server and ACT related.  Got ACT installed fresh, SQL server installed fresh, point to dbase in use from #1 above and get the following:

One or more files do not match the primary file of the database.  If you are attempting to attach a database, retry the operation with the correct files.  If this is an existing database, the file may be corrupted and should be restored from a backup.

HELP!! A corrupt database doesn't ring true, since it was running and working great, until SQL server starting not running........

Has this been encountered by anyone? What to do? 

Thanks!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 10.0 Primary File of database match error - HELP!!!!

Hello awbrown,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. I'm sorry to hear about the error you are receiving when trying to attach your database to SQL. I believe you will need to contact ACT! Support for assistance. Please see your Private Messages for more information.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Super Contributor

Hello...

I'm having the same issue with a specific ACT database (others are working just fine) - what solutions can you suggest?

Thanks,

Dino

Dino,
This issue is usually database-specific. What is the exact error you are receiving and when does it occur? Also, what version of ACT! are you using?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: ACT 12.0 Primary File of database match error - HELP!!!!

Another request for help.  I am suddenly having the same problem.  Like ghollister, it is not happening to all of my files, only my "live" file which I have been using daily for quite some time.  I also tried opening a copy (not zipped) of my live file which had been copied onto an external drive and which I had copied back to my C drive.  It would not open and gives the same error message.  I also rebooted and get the same message.

I do not have a backup zip file that is recent so this is important to me.

I am using Version 12.0.409.0  (ghollister was using Version 10).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello mschley,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Did you receive the error when trying to directly open the .ADF file for your database? What is the exact error message?

Greig Hollister

Yes.  ACT is open.  I have successfully opened some other files.

I tried a couple ways.  I hit 'File then clicked the database which was shown in the file pull down because it was my most recent. 

I also tried "File Open, then found the file on my hard drive and clicked on it.  I separately tried clicking on each of the ALF, PAD and ADF folders.  After each rejection, I closed ACT and reopened it so that each try was with a newly-opened program.

I got the same messages each time.  First, I received a message "ACT! will now verify the database.  This process may take several minutes."  After clicking "OK" i then received the second message. The text of that message is:

One or more files do not match the primary file of the database.  If you are attempting to attach a database, retry the operation with the correct files.  If this is an existing database, the file may be corrupted and should be restored from a backup.

[ Edited ]

This sounds like a damaged .ALF (log) file. We have just recently released a new utility that will allow you to attach the .ADF file when the .ALF is missing or damaged. You can find this utility in KB Article 27607. Click the link for Attach ACT! Database under the Tools section of the article for instructions. In your case, you would select Tools > Attach ACT! Database > Missing Log File. Once the database is attached, the open the .ADF file for your database in ACT!.

This should work assuming the .ADF file is not damaged as well. Please post back your results.

Greig Hollister

Thanks.  I will need to have my administrator do this. 

I notice that my C drive folder has a new SQL Server Database Transaction Log File.  I did not notice this before posting my earlier messages.  The name of the new file is the name of my database plus "_log."  (My database name is ACT102110 and the new file is ACT102110_log)  Does this change your recommendation at all? 

No, I would go ahead with the process I described.

Greig Hollister