Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

AC7 Instance not being accessed by any clients (yes, firewall is down :)

AC7 Instance not being accessed by any clients (yes, firewall is down :)

I am running Act Standard 2008(10.0.3) on a Windows 2008 Server(new server).  I installed it just fine with SQLExpress along side an existing SQL 2005 Standard.  No problems.

I restored the Database from a backup to the Server, shares created and security verified on NTFS & share permissions.  No Problems.

I can load  ACT 7 on the server and see my data, yay!

The problem comes when I setup ACT on a workstation.  Everything installed and updated fine on the workstation.  I can see ALL the files on the share and verify I have read write access to the NTFS and share permissions.  When I attempt to open the PAD file, It pauses for a while and comes back with an error saying database unavailable.

I have followed the troubleshooting techniques on this kb: 19640  (commented steps taken below)

• The Share Database option is not enabled
  • This is done. Checked twice. I have shared and unshared this from within the ACT interface on the server about 20 times during testing,all I can see it doing is sharing and unsharing the folder that matches the PAD file name. But no errors.

• Permissions for Folders of the Shared Database
    This is done. Checked twice. All permissions (Share and NTFS file/folder) are wide open to the user account accessing everything (at the moment, domain admin)

Sorry for the long post, I like to be detailed.  At this point I am apparently hitting a brick wall when it comes to accessing the SQL instance (ACT7) from the client machines.  I can verify the instance is there using SQL services, but I can't connect to it using ANY SQL management suite(as if it didn't exist).  And I've re-installed the SQL instance multiple times and the same result.  Clean install saying it's functioning.  ACTDIAG even says it's all working.  The ONLY thing I have not done is registered ACT on the server, I've left it in trial mode so as to not eat a license.  I can only assume this is ok since the associated error message says nothing about the servers ACT not being licensed and has a 29 day limit remainging on it, certainly long enough to install the SQL instance and verify everything is working... right?  My client machine does have an activated license on it that is up and running.  It was activated yesterday, does this qualify me for 30 days of help from ACT?

At this point, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dustin

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: AC7 Instance not being accessed by any clients (yes, firewall is down :)

What's the actual error from the workstations?

When you say "I can load  ACT 7 on the server", I assume you mean ACT! 10?

The PAD file will be in the Database folder, so no need for 2 shares

I don't know that this would be an issue, but ACT! 2008 (10.0) wasn't built to support Windows 2008. ACT! 2009 (11.0) does include this in it's list of supported operating systems.

If you wanted, you could just use the SQL 2005 Standard database that you have rather than having both as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4wpfhc

[ Edited ]

Thx for the quick reply,

Error: "The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software"

Loading ACT 7 on the server means the instance of SQLEXPRESS loads, installs, and all diags show the database is up and running.  ACT itself (the app) loads up on the server (warns of trial period) and opens the DB from the SQLexpress instance just fine.

The shares problem I'm having is like this:

I have a share c:\actdata that I restore actbackup.zip too.  It puts the pad file at c:\actdata\thefile.pad and puts it's contents in c:\actdata\thefile\ and shares it (but the PAD file is not in that folder, it's in c:\actdata)  So I shared the c:\actdata folder so people could see the pad file.  Otherwise, they can see the shared folder at c:\actdata\thefile\*, but they can't see c:\actdata\thefile.pad (which is where ACT puts it when it recovers the database).

ACT 10.0.3 is my version.

I found a document that said that Windows 2008 supports ACT 2008 (10), but Windows 2008 Console only (Core) does not.

I followed the KB article and when launching the ACT installer after setting up the Instance, I recieved an error saying the ACT instance was incompatible.  and my only choice was to uninstall it and let the act install re-install the SQLEXPRESS instance of ACT7.    Is there any way I can get my SQL Manager to connect to the ACT instance.  When I launch SQL Manager on the domain, I can see the server, and MSSQLSERVER instance and all it's DB in full, But I can't see anything through the manager that resembles SQLEXPRESS or an ACT7 instance.  I can verify the database i up by 1) launching act and 2) loading actdiag to verify there is an active connection to the ACT instance from the server running act.  But I can not connect to the ACT7 SQL instance directly either locally from the server, or another domain machine.

I'm banging my head on teh keyboard, plz help,

Dustin

Message Edited by IdleByte on 09-26-2008 08:42 AM

When you restored the database, did you do a Restore_As?

You can't connect SQL Manager to the ACT7 instance unless you purchase the SA pass utility.... but this is usually not needed.

Can you try logging in as a Domain Admin on a workstation and seeing if you can connect?

Can you try, from a workstation command prompt: Telnet server 1433

You should get a blank screen, then you can close the window

Where you can open the database, go to Help | About ACT! and check to see how many licenses it reports. If it is only one license, the database can't be shared until more licenses are added.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes, I did a restore as from the backup zip.

The telnet does give me a blank screen.

I'm running the client machine as a domain admin.  Trying to eliminate any possibility of security rights.

Is there anyway, without purchasing the SA pass utility, to verify the instance of ACT7 is remotely accessible?  I have no problem seeing the SQL 2005 standard instances when i use SQL manager or Toad for SQL.  But I can't even see, much less connect (with or without the sa utility), to the ACT7 instance.  Is that expected behaviour?

I hate to rag on ACT (LOVE YOU GUYS), but a slightly more detailed error message would of been nice Smiley Happy  Is there any way I can make the ACTDIAG command run from the client to connect to the ACT7 instance on the server?  As far as I can tell actdiag only connects to the local database of the machine it's run from.

Thx,

Dustin

[ Edited ]

So to verify, if the SERVER does not have a licensed version of ACT installed, clients can't connect to the ACT7 SQL instance?  And will report "unable to connect" without any license warning?  The server about - help says 0 licenses, so I assume thats my issue.  I'm building this server to replace our outdated one.  How can I apply licenses to this server without disabling the licenses currently in use on the other server?  I'm not taking one act instance down thats working, to install one that hasn't been tested (I would be shot by the execs).

Thx,

Dustin

Edit: BTW, the client accessing the server with 0 loaded licenses IS licensed and activated.

Message Edited by IdleByte on 09-26-2008 10:03 AM

[ Edited ]

Also, our current server shows 1 license in the about - help, but multiple people can connect to it just fine.  The new server is unreg'd so it's license count is 0.

Dustin

IGNORE: my ignorance, server has 7 keys in the DB.  one on the help about page. (all in the terminology)

Message Edited by IdleByte on 09-26-2008 10:35 AM

IdleByte wrote:

Yes, I did a restore as from the backup zip.

The telnet does give me a blank screen.

I'm running the client machine as a domain admin.  Trying to eliminate any possibility of security rights.

Is there anyway, without purchasing the SA pass utility, to verify the instance of ACT7 is remotely accessible?  I have no problem seeing the SQL 2005 standard instances when i use SQL manager or Toad for SQL.  But I can't even see, much less connect (with or without the sa utility), to the ACT7 instance.  Is that expected behaviour?

If telnet comes up the the blank screen, it's usually the test SQL is running.... although, I wonder if having the two SQL versions might be an issue? May remove Express and create the ACT7 instance in your full 2005ST as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4eteft

I hate to rag on ACT (LOVE YOU GUYS), but a slightly more detailed error message would of been nice Smiley Happy  Is there any way I can make the ACTDIAG command run from the client to connect to the ACT7 instance on the server?  As far as I can tell actdiag only connects to the local database of the machine it's run from.

The error message means it can't connect... not easy for the app to know why for a better error on that

Following that KB gives me a: Incompatible database, please remove and reinstall.

Dustin