Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

A question about default supplemental file locations that I've never seen asked.

A question about default supplemental file locations that I've never seen asked.

This is basically about how does ACT figure out where it's going to put the supplemental files structure.  It evidently doesn't always put it in the same place according to the help screen that tells you where they are post installation. 

I've had two hardware failures on servers in the past 3 months involving a restore of backups from other places.

These are not ACT backups, mind you.  I have 80K emails in the supplemental files place and ACT backup hasn't ever worked.

I just turn off the SQL service and copy (no compression) ALL the files in the directory containing my pad and adf files somewhere else every day.

So to get ACT back up and running again.  I copy the file structure back to my shareddata directory. Install ACT and point it to the new files.  I've been deleting the pad file and opening the adf.  ACT seems to create a whole new supplemental file structure then, without regard to whether or not one already exists in the directory with the adf.  The first time it created it in the parent of the directory with the adf.  The second time it went up a couple of levels more and created it in the root of the computer being used as a data server (peer-to-peer network, 5 computers ACT installed on two workstations and on the data computer).  This behaviour seems a bit strange.  Could someone tell me how to think about this?  How do I maintain my history across filecopy?

After it does this, I'm missing a bunch of history because they're in another supplemental file structure.

???  How do I make it create the structure in the same directory as the adf ???

???  Can I copy all the attachments from the former structure to the new and put the emails where ACTs pointers now go???

Re: A question about default supplemental file locations that I've never seen asked.

ACT! should create the supplemental files folder wherever the database is stored (ADF and ALF).  You can try renaming the database and open with the ADF.  You will need to rename the ADF, ALF and database files folder.