Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

A couple of newbie questions

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

A couple of newbie questions

First time using Act! Premium 2010 and a couple qustion have come up;

1) When I am working with the pop up daily call list; if I "go to" the call that is highlighted; it shows my database as 1 of 1.  I can't seem to get back to my database of 56 contacts.  How do I get back?

2) I have been entering my contacts thru the contacts window.  I thought the contacts company information could be seen in the company window, but it doesn't show any companies.  Surely, you don't have to enter the company information and the contact information seperately?

Any help for this newbie is appreciated,

Manassasralph

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Manassasralph
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Re: A couple of newbie questions

Question 1 - Go to Lookup > All Contacts

Question 2 - Contacts and companies are two seperate entitles within the Act! Software. So if you create a contact it will not automatically create a company record with the same information.

There is an article here which discusses creating and managing companies.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Manassasralph
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Question 1 - Go to Lookup > All Contacts

Question 2 - Contacts and companies are two seperate entitles within the Act! Software. So if you create a contact it will not automatically create a company record with the same information.

There is an article here which discusses creating and managing companies.

Thank you, ChrisH.

Again I am new to this program, but is it alittle strange that contacts and companies are not linked?

Manassasralph

Bronze Contributor

Good morning Manassasralph,

You might think that it is strange that companies are not automatically created when a new contact is created, but there are two things to consider:

1.  You may mis-spell the company name when you create a new contact, which would then create a new company.

2.  ACT added the company view as a result of request from the customer base, as it was not part of the original program.

It is easy to create a company.

• In the contact detailed view, pick one of the contacts
  • Click on Contacts on the top row
  • Select "Create Company from Contact"

Then use the contact view and highlight all the contacts belonging to the same company. 

• Click on the Contacts on the top row
  • Select "Add Selected to Company" - it should give you the name of the company or you may have to locate it.

Then to add a contact to the company

• Use the duplicate contact button - all the primary fields will be duplicated.  Very easy.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Employee

You are able to link companies and contacts together but it is not an automated process, there is always some manual processing involved. Currently if you have only contacts you are able to create companies from contact (While looking at a contact record, Select the contacts menu at the top of the screen > Create company from contact). 

This article gives more information relating to contact and company linking.