Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

64 bit version of Microsoft Office Home and ACT

Copper Contributor

Re: 64 bit version of Microsoft Office Home and ACT

I don't claim to be a DBA, but for accessing contact and scheduling data it seems excessive to use 2G of RAM.

To assume that their users do not have a use for Office x64 is presumptuous at best.

For Microsoft to assume their users do not have ACT!, on the other hand, is somewhat reasonable given that MSFT >> SGE.

And, regardless of it's usefulness, my computer was purchased with Office x64.  It is silly to expect customers to reinstall office.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Here's a PC Word article recommending to avoid Office 2010 x64:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/197415/beware_of_office_2010s_64bit_shortcomings.html

And here's Microsoft's own recommendation
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/choose-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-version-of-microsoft-office-...
You'll note that Microsoft hasn't been able to add ActiveX controls to the x64 version ... this this is what most addon developers (including Sage) use to talk to Office, and why Microsoft recommends installing Office 2010 x32

Just to add ... Microsoft originally went x64 with Office 2003, but it caused so many issues that they didn't bother with it for Office 2007

Well for me ACT is going on a 32bit machine...I need 64 bit office on my main machine...

Bronze Super Contributor

yup, to clarify, an x64 OS (i.e. Win 7) is fine, no drama. But x64 Office is more trouble than it's worth at the moment, not just with ACT! with with active x and more. Until other third party components are updated for x64 not many vendors will support x64 MS Office.