Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

64 bit version of Microsoft Office Home and ACT

64 bit version of Microsoft Office Home and ACT

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine. I use a software that requires 64 bit version of Office (Unigraphics NX CAD software). So I HAVE to install the 64 bit version of office on my machine. Is this going to create a problem with ACT? Or....can I have both versions of Office runninng (32 bit and 64 bit)...TIA

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 64 bit version of Microsoft Office Home and ACT

Yes it wiil cause a problem and you would need to call Microsoft for the other question.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Bronze Contributor

I think it is time to request the ACT! development to work on 64-bit integrtion.  it is interesting that I and now fdbguy brought up 64-bit within a couple days of each other.  I just posted a request in the "Share Your Ideas" to either provide 64-bit integration into Office or to provide a 64-bit version of ACT!  I don't know if the moderator of that bord will post the request.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

To work with Office x64, it needs to be re-compiled as 64-bit ... to do that a number of third -party apps that ACT! depends on also need to be upgraded.
Bronze Contributor

You bring up a very valid point and I often bring up topics that are over my head technically.  However, it is up to the community to bring up ideas even if they are hard.  Impossible ideas often spur possible ideas. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

The bigger issue is the annual upgrade cycle, which means they concentrate on adding features that look good in a press release (and justify an upgrade) rather than items that might be beneficial to current users.
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2011/10/is-sageact-getting-too-complicated.html

I'm finding out that installing Office 64bit is going to create more problems with other apps that I use to run my business, namely Quickbooks. I am too suprised that Office 64bit has not been adapted by these other apps. I have an inqury with Microsoft on running both versions concurrently, but from what I have read it doesn't sound like its possibe on a 64 bit machine.

Actually there are ways you can resolve the problem. The best would be to setup a virtual machine for all the 32 bit application and install the the 32 bit version of office there. The free virtual machine software from Microsoft isn't the best. Some of the thirdparty versions allow better interaction between the main and the virtual machine. You'll need to check with Microsoft to find out how to handle the license issues.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I can see why they require the 64-bit version because the calculation requirments would benefit from the 64-bit speed.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129