Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

64 bit version of Microsoft Office Home and ACT

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 64 bit version of Microsoft Office Home and ACT

Or, if there's only a couple of x64 apps ... put that in the virtual machine :-)

Even MS advice on their site that they recommend using the x32 bit version of Office unless using something that needs x64 or Excel files >2GB

MS originally did x64 with Office 2003 ... because of all these issues, they didn't even do an x64 version of Office 2007

And if I do that...will I be able to run Office also as 64bit?...because that is a must and is driving this whole thing...unless...I run ALL my apps at 32bit including my CAD software So then whats the point of running Windows 7 64bit...

Setting up a virtual machine is like having two computers in one. On would have the 64-bit apps and 64-office and the other would have the 32-bit apps and the 32-bit install of office

In actual fact the ACT! program is I/O bound so that the 64-bit Windows 7 benefits ACT! by having faster data transfers between the hard dis and memory but would have little benefit to the actual program execution.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

64bit offers two main advantages:
1. Math functions can run a little bit faster (this might help CAD)
2. Access to more RAM for things like spreadsheets over 2GB

There is no real advantage to ACT! or for most Office users.

Right...of course ...I almost forgot that point.... I do have 12 GB of  RAM on my machine...and I'm not about to let that go to waste

ACT! doesn't use that much (except to cache data) ... but having it for Windows x64 means you can load many more apps without them swapping to the drive.... doesn't need the apps to be x64 for that
Copper Contributor

My ACT! uses 2G.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

What has been touched upon in this thread, and something that irks me, is that people discuss ACT! as if it's the only application on my PC.

I do not want to use Office x32 because Sage won't work on being compliant.  I do not want to use a burdensome fraction of my available RAM on ACT!.

This should be a thin database, not something I need to change my whole world for.

Microsoft themselves advise the use of Office x32 (even on x64 os) unless needing to access Excel files >2GB)

Changing to x64 won't get ACT! to use more ... it doesn't need it. SQL Express can only access 1GB of RAM - if you need more, upgrading to SQL Standard will allow you to access more RAM (in x32 or x64)

Not sure what you mean be "a thin database"?