Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

60 Second Success Tip: Easier Phone and Address Lookups

Bronze Super Contributor

60 Second Success Tip: Easier Phone and Address Lookups

[ Edited ]

Has this every happened to you?

You get back to the office and check your messages and you note that someone had called but hadn’t left a message.

Who was it?  Could it be a potential lead?

Of course, you can just right click the Phone field on the contact screen and enter in the first portion of the number and see what comes back.

But what if they called from their cell?  Or home phone? Or fax line?  Or one of the other custom phone fields you may have created?  (Out of the box, ACT! comes with 6 phone fields for contact records and 3 for companies.)

Certainly, you could repeat the right-click: lookup process for every phone field you have, but that sure isn’t a great way to spend your time, is it?  Not to mention, you might forget to search one of the phone fields, and that could have been the one with the match!

As always – ACT! has an easier way to find that phone number (well, if it is in the database that is!).

Next time you need to lookup a phone number – or any segment of an address fields (address 1, 2, city, state, etc.) – do this:

Go to the Lookup menu, and select “Other Fields”.

In the Lookup dialog, in the “Field” field (I know), scroll to where you will find “Any <fieldname>” listed.  There you will see a choice for any related phone field or address field.

LookupAnyDialog.jpg 

Select the appropriate field you are interested in and enter your search criteria.  ACT! will dutifully search across all fields of that type and bring you back a list of matching records.

A few things to note:

The search only works for the record type you are currently looking at, not across record types (contact, company, or group – probably would work in sales opportunities too, but I have never added a phone number there myself).  So depending upon your data and how badly you need to track down the info, you may still have to run the lookup more than once.  (True, if you have a more recent version of ACT!, you might consider using Universal search, but that will come with other considerations.)

Secondly, for this function to work with your custom phone numbers or addresses, you had to specify the correct field type when you added them to your database.  In other words, if you added phone numbers or addresses using just plain-jane character fields, then ACT! has no way of knowing what these fields hold and cannot include them.  Hopefully that is not you!  (You could consider creating new fields of the correct field type and migrating the data from the old field(s) – but that is for another conversation!)

If you did not know about the Lookup Any function – I hope it saves you some time, this week even!

Here’s to CRM Success!

Bronze Contributor

Re: 60 Second Success Tip: Easier Phone and Address Lookups

Thanks, Scott.  While I knew about it, I needed it the other day and apparently completely forgotten this tip.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: 60 Second Success Tip: Easier Phone and Address Lookups

Glad to remind!

It's these simple things that we don't need every day that can make all the difference.