Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

6.0 User on XP Home Ed: Consid.Upgr. to '08 vers.10.0 on Vista Bus. or Ult.

6.0 User on XP Home Ed: Consid.Upgr. to '08 vers.10.0 on Vista Bus. or Ult.

I apologize if these questions have been asked previously, but I just became familiar with this board.  I've been using 6.0 for 5 plus years and have been fairly satisfied, but it's time to replace my 6 year old laptop and figured it was time to seriously consider upgrading ACT as well.  Any input and experiences you can share is most appreciated.  I am a stand alone user.

-Any issues in going from XP to Vista?  (I assume I would install Act 10.0 on the old computer, convert my Act 6.0 database and then move the upgraded 10.0 version to the new Vista PC)

-Once on the new Vista PC, are there any issues I need to be aware of or have people found it a smooth transition?  (I don't have any macros I'm using presently, just primarily scheduling activities, notes,and some basic reports)

-Are backups fairly simple using a thumb drive?  (I assume the new ACT version has a similar backup/restore program to the 6.0 version?)

-Are there any reasons I wouldn't want to convert, other than the older version is no longer supported by Sage?

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 6.0 User on XP Home Ed: Consid.Upgr. to '08 vers.10.0 on Vista Bus. or Ult.

Before you install ACT! on Vista, turn of the Vista UAC as per - http://tinyurl.com/22rvts

You also don't need to convert the database on the old system - especially if you don't have a lot of attached files.

You can install ACT! 10 on the Vista system, put all the ACT! 6.0 database files in a folder and select File | open from ACT! 10 and change file type to ACT! 6 and select the database file. ACT! 10 will create a new database and convert the 6.0 data for you.