Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

5 contacts under 1 contact?

Tuned Listener

5 contacts under 1 contact?

ok I have all of my contacts separated 

Group-Region 1 Subgroup - County Subgroup - City

I have 4 databases Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio.  Then obviously within the database I have broken it down into Region-County-City.  So here is my question....I have many schools that are in my database.  For Example I have District 1 and I put down the Super. but I also have all of the schools/principals that are under this super.  Is there a way to save those 5 contacts under 1 contact?  I hope that all makes sense. Please HELP!!

Sarah Harrison
Royalty Roofing
Tuned Listener

Re: 5 contacts under 1 contact?

ok i guess that I should rephase this.....is there a way to import contacts into Secondary Contacts or do I have to go through and fill out each individual contact card.
Sarah Harrison
Royalty Roofing
Tuned Listener

anyone have a comment.....i could really use the help. Please and Thank You!!
Sarah Harrison
Royalty Roofing
Tuned Listener

Please with cherries on top?!?! 
Sarah Harrison
Royalty Roofing
Nickel Elite Contributor

You could use the secondary contacts tab but I don't know if that will do what you want.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Tuned Listener

is there something else that I do?  If I do end up using the secondary contact option can I import the contact into that or do I have to complete each form myself?
Sarah Harrison
Royalty Roofing

OK, as long as you supply the cherries and don't mind the blind leading the blind... :-)

I just tried an export, and it looks like the CSV (comma-separated-variable) format does not include any Secondary Contact information so you probably won't be able to import to that field as well.

But why don't you import all the schools/principals as contacts in their own right, and then add another group, which is a subgroup under the super or whatever, wouldn't that do what you want?

Alternatively, import them as contacts, and I think I remember seeing in the manual you have the ability to promote and demote to and from secondary contacts possibly. But it seems to me if you want to be contacting them, you'd really want them to be full contacts and use groupings to get the effect of what you want. Or companies... Why not each school be a company?

Copper Elite Contributor

Do you want to keep notes or histories on each of these principals? Do you want to schedule anything with any of these extra names? Do you want to mail-merge to these extra contacts? If so, then you need to import the records as contacts. I do not believe there is any way to import to the Secondary Contacts tab. Sorry.
Susan Clark
ACT! Certified Consultant
Cornerstone Solutions, Inc.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Are you talking about importing from another file?

If so, you can do this with itImport - it's the only way to import into every sub-table in ACT!

Tuned Listener

i wanted to know if there was a way to import the information and have it go directly to the Secondary Contact tab.  From what I am reading though, I am going to have to either make them a sub group or actually type in the information unless you know another trick.
Sarah Harrison
Royalty Roofing