Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

3 local users and one remote user

Tuned Listener

3 local users and one remote user

We currently use (and have used for 10+ years) Access, which has been extremely customized for our previous needs.

The more I read about Act, the more I believe it's what we now need. 

Three people need to be able to get into our database from within our office and one user needs to have remote access from his off site office. I need to be able to access it from home and when I travel.

How many copies do I need and is the basic version adequate for these needs?

Thank you. 

Silver Contributor

Re: 3 local users and one remote user

You would need 4 licenses (1 per person).  I am generally of the believe that teams use the Workgroup (premium Edition).  You will get more options to sync, ACT for Web for Remote use, more security options, etc.  Standard may technically work for you, but it might make sense to look a little deeper at your needs before proceding down that route.
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Tuned Listener

Thank you for your suggestion. I should have mentioned that with our current process, we have, what we refer to our server), that actually has all the data stored on it and each of us have access on our own systems. But we all, including the office that logs in remotely, uses the "server" to get to the information. In other words, the computer, which we call the server, is not used as a work station at all. So will I need an additional Act!?

Platinum Elite Contributor

No, ACT! is licensed to the named user not the machine.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

As I continue to research, attend tutorials, and watch videos, I am getting more convinced that ACT! may be the solution to my needs. ACT! already has so many (and even more) of the features we want as I attempt to compile my list of needs. My original plan to hire someone to redevelop Access, since we already have it installed on our systems, but it seems ACT! may even be more cost effective AND efficient if we just start over with it.

Of course, cost effectiveness is important upfront as well as productivity down the road. It seems the learning curve won't be that much of an issue when it comes to using it, but I remain concerned regarding getting it ready to go.

So I'm back to one of my original concerns: The version and licensing.

Based on the checklist it seemed I need the basic version, but it has been suggested that I'll be happier with the Premier version. I admit that I'm unsure of the restrictions with the basic version that will result in me being more satisified with the Premier version.  Can anyone help? Based on my original description of how we are set up, what is is that I need that the basic version doesn't provide?  Am I to understand that I will NOT be able to use it for my remote needs?

Additionally, the licensing now has me confused too.  I plan to install it on 6 systems. 4 of those systems are mine: My home desktop, my laptop, my desktop at the office and my "server."  Reminder: my server is not a work station.  My other system is the system that we log in to remotely that takes us to the server. It isn't a work station either. So technically, that one is mine too.  So I need one license for me for all of those?  And I need a license for my Administrative Assistant, who has another system at the office?  And I need a license for the person who works out of a remote office? 

Thank you. 

The licenses are to the named user, not the machine. As a general rule, a single ACT! serial number can be used for three installs before you will be forced to call for activation. As to reasons for getting ther premium version of ACT! 2010 rather than standard, in your case one outweighs all others. To do a remote synchronization, the standard ACT! program must be open and running on the server machine, with the premium version synchronization on the server machine is done by a separate sync service and the ACT! program doesn't need to be running.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

I really appreciate your help.  I AM the decision maker, but not the technical person and my challenge now, is not IF I want to use Act! as I have now determined that ACT! has and does what I need.

So now, my challenge is determining how much I will be paying for the initial purchase vs just working on changing what I have. (MS Access)

In other words, I need to figure out how many boxes of software I need to purchase.

Regarding the licensing: Since you replied that it is per user and not per machine, let me ask this way,  I buy one box of software.  I will install that on my home system, on my office system and on my laptop.  That will take care of me, (the 3 installs per box that you mentioned) right? 

That is box number one. 

Then I need another box for what we call the server, which I can also install on the remote access computer.  That box will have one additional install left, since it was installed only twice.  But that left over install is not used because I don't have another place to install it.  Is that right?

That takes care of box number two.

I also have my Administrative Assistant's system which needs an install, but because she is a seperate daily user, I need a separate box for her and it will be installed only once on her system. So that is necessary for her to be able to use it, right?  She cannot use the left over install mentioned above, or can she?

So I am up to box number 3 or not?

Then I need another box for the person who works out of his home office for his system and he is a daily user from there, and uses webex to get to the remote computer that he uses to get to our server.  So we now have 3 or 4  boxes necessary.

And then I need one more box for the one other user's system, right?  Or can that one other user use an install that is left over from my Administrative Assistant's box, if she was a separate box.  

I'm confusing myself, but can you help?   Thank you.  

First off, forget about boxes and focus on licenses. According to your original post you would need four licenses, that would accommodate four named users no matter where the ACT! program was installed. If you purchase the premium version (which you should) you would have one install disc and one serial number coded for four licenses. If you actually need five licenses (five named users), the same would apply, one install disc and one serial number coded for five named users. In either case the number of installs would be three times the number of licenses, either 12 or 15.. Because of the special serial number coding, you would need to purchase the premium version from Sage or an ACC.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

So I stipulate how many licenses I need as I do the installation? And how much is each license? Well, it seems that 4 licenses are available in the one purchase price. So there are no additional license fees above the cost of the software, unless I need more than 4?  Do I FINALLY understand?  Is that the same for the basic AND the premier?

Silver Contributor

The program limits how many names you can add as users of the database.  Each user needs a login to use the program. So the simplest way is to count people, not workstations.

Standard vs Premium. Premium is more, but is designed for worksroups and teams.  HEre is a link with some details.

http://www.act.com/products/index.cfm

Many Consultants can save you a little money and also help you with your implementation.

As you add more users, you can always add more licenses. (remember Standard has a Max of 10 users, plus other limitations) Also, you may realize some price saving by purchasing all of your licenses at once.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider