Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

3 laptops with Windows 7, 1 new laptop with Windows 10 - ACT! 2011

3 laptops with Windows 7, 1 new laptop with Windows 10 - ACT! 2011

[ Edited ]

Today, I purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro. I haven't tried ACT! 2011 on it but I'm assuming there will be issues(?).

What are my options if I want to keep my other 3 laptops running ACT! 2011? Can I just buy a newer version of ACT! for the new laptop? Will running a newer version mess with the 2011 database in the host? Certainly don't want to turn this into a mess.

Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 3 laptops with Windows 7, 1 new laptop with Windows 10 - ACT! 2011

Yes there will be many issues trying to run ACT! 2011 on Windows 10. No you can't share a database between different versions of the ACT! program. For one thing the latest version of the ACT! program uses a different version of MSSQL than ACT! 2011.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

You'll want at least 1 license of Act Pro v18.  Act is licensed per user, not machine, but has a soft limit of 3 activations per license.  Support can override this limit if all 4 are your laptops but it violates terms of service to have multiple users share a license.  Act Pro is only $239 per user so my best recommendation would be to buy one license per user, then you can just upgrade all 4 machines in place.  database files would stay in the same spot and it should be a relatively straightforward upgrade.

Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
Act! Certified Consultants
......Stephen Boulden
Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
P: 716.837.5727 x104
E: stephen@twelvethree.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Act! 2011 will ave issues with Windows 10 ...

Even trying to get it installed is messy as Act! 2011 came with SQL 2008, which Microsoft won't let run on Windows 10. You need to manually install SQL 2008 R2 first ... and this might cause compatibility issues with the other systems if they're not updated.

You have two basic options:
1. See if the laptop OEM will downgrade you to Windows 7, as per: https://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx
2. Get v18 for all users ... If you're the only user, you can do this with one license. If each laptop is a different user in Act!, you'll need to get v18 for all the users.

I'd recommend option #2 ... If you do this, when upgrading the other users, uninstall Act! and SQL 2008 from the old machines before installing v18. Otherwise, you'll have the old 2008 version of SQL still on the old machines rather than the new 2014. You want them all to be on the same version of SQL if you can