Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

.3 Update Sync Fails, DB explosion

.3 Update Sync Fails, DB explosion

Ok, the only time we've ever had problems with ACT seems to be during an upgrade.  This time our client machines have stopped syncing and Sage Tech support has helped us but we've found no definitive solution as of yet.  Currently we've disabled the supplementary files and sync is successful.  A reoccurring concern may be the size of our supplementary data and I'm looking for information on not only health of the systems and sync but best practices on managing attachments.  Pg 125 of the 2008 edition manual states that for attaching files to activities, we have a choice of file or shortcut.  This makes great sense, we manage our files ourselves on disk, ACT shouldn't manage them as well or include them in the db, and the concept of a link or shortcut is a good one. 

However, I've searched the manual high and low concerning email merges with attachments and I'm not seeing anything that discusses this same concept with respect to email.  In fact, while attaching files is an option, everything I'm reading suggests any attachments to the email itself is saved with the email.  Now, in many ways, this makes sense, the email needs the actual file, it cannot "send" a shortcut or local link, so I get that, however, even ACT should realize that this explosion of redundancy within the db is not sensible either, and I would have expected that the history tracking on such an activity to still use a link or shortcut even when during the send it should realize it needs to follow the link to find the file to actually attach. 

The only other option I can see, is that maybe we're using email w/attachments-merge in an inefficient way.  The manual also discusses using the Bcc field option to send only a single mail rather than separate mails for each contact in the lookup or group.  That might be ok, but what I need to insure is that, just like the manual discusses with respect to individual letters, when a contact is reviewed any individual letters are at your fingertips for reference as well as any emails, merged or otherwise, that contact may have received. 

I have a feeling we're flooding the db with redundancy with email merges with attachments.  Our db in since January has grown from a zipped backup of 209Meg to 6.1Gig and this redundancy may be the culprit.

Can anyone clarify this, shed any light on this, or tell us what we're going wrong?  I only have to insure that pulling up any correspondence for any contact is right there in the history and only a few clicks away without exploding the db. 

Thoughts?

Many thanks,

Jim Burns

Technology Dynamics

Pearland, TX

Act! 10.0.3.182, hf 1, standard

Jim Burns
Technology Dynamics
Pearland, TX

Act! 10.0.3.182, hf 1, standard

Re: .3 Update Sync Fails, DB explosion

Jim,

If you perform a mail merge to 1000 contacts, it going to attach 1000 email messages to the database.   You should start setting the record history option to email subject + message.  This will avoid all the email attachments.