Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2013 Database will not open

Copper Contributor

2013 Database will not open

2013 gets hung up on login at "logon completed" per below. Any suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 2013 Database will not open

[ Edited ]

Hello robcass,
Some questions for you:
- Are you attempting to open a local database or a shared database?
- Does the same thing happen if you try to open the demo database on your machine (ACT2013Demo)?

This could possibly be due to a damaged preferences file. Use the steps in the bottom half of the Knowledgebase article to manually rebuild your preferences file:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1477...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Local database

Demo does the same

Followed second method- did not seem to work.

Capture.JPG

Try this article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2262...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for you help, much appreciated. I have been on tech support line working with them for a total of 4 hours. After several attempts to solve the problem, their conclusion is that it is a .net problem with Microsoft. Hard to accept since this is a new computer. In any case, I have gotten the brush off, and told I need to talk to Microsoft. I am guessing that is not going to be a 15 min call. I have been an ACT fan for a ling time, however with 4+ hours on tech support and several more wasted booting and re botting, I think it is time for me to move to a hosted CRM....

You say it's a new computer. Did you install the operating system or did it come preinstalled? If preinstalled it was likely loaded with an image file rather than a true install and the possibility of part of that image being damaged is very real. I would try uninstalling the ACT! program and the .NET framework and then reinstall the ACT! program which will include the .NET framwork and see if that helps.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks Roy

That is one thing the tech people did. They uninstalled the program and reinstalled.

Uninstalling the ACT! program won't uninstall the microsoft .NET framework. ACT! uses the .NET framework as a platform and if anything in the .NET framework is damaged it will cause the ACT! program to fail when that resource is needed. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

There are a few things that occur once logon is completed. We are loading all serialized files (column customizations, line spacing etc) some may call these preferences but they are structurally different and located in a different place. These would be represented as .ser files in the actdata directory in your application data folder. You can just search for them on your OS. It's safe to close ACT! and remove those files and restart. The second thing that is occuring is an on logon event is firing to alert any plugins to load, if you have any third party applications installed associated with ACT! it is possible that this is having a problem loading causing ACT! to stall. I would recommend removing the add-on if this is the case and trying to open ACT! again.  Uninstalling an Reinstalling ACT! would not have removed the add-on.

The fact that this is occuring on two different databases means that the problem is clearly system related and the screen shot showing that logon was complete means the application is functioning under the .NET framework just fine as it was able to open the application shell (the state ACT! is in before selecting a database to login to) instantiate the ACT! framework and complete the login to the database.

Keith Saccuci
ACT! R&D
Copper Contributor

Thats all great buy why dont your tech support people know all of this? They told me that they could not do anything more for me and I need to call Microsoft to talk about .net.