Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2011 premium installation questions

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

2011 premium installation questions

I have just completed upgrading from 2010 Premium for workgroups to 2011 Premium for Workgroups.. On 2 of the remote database machines the option to sync now is greyed out, and the machine behaves like a server.

These 2 machines were upgraded from XP Pro to Windows 7.

My thinking is that Act 2011 saw this as a clean install and now thinks the machine is a server.

Is there anyway to make the machine behave as a remotedb client so that it can sync with the server?

I have been installing act since 2000 and never had this much trouble in the client/server process.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be of great help. I have been covering the knowledgebase and community for over 36 hours and have not found any helpful ideas.

Bruce

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bnewton@coelyngroup.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 2011 premium installation questions

Bruce,
I think it was the restoring of the backup that may have done it. Did by chance the computer name of the machine get changed in the process of upgrading the O/S? This would have the same effect as moving the database to a new machine, which with a remote database cannot be done using backup/restore.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

I would say that you need to recut the remotes is the only option here and if there is data in the remotes that you need to get back to the master database then you need to do this via Export/Import by moving the remotes to the server and opening them on the server first.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Paul,

I have no problem redoing the remote database files but fear this will not resolve the issue.

I will test and post later today.
Nickel Super Contributor

Something is wrong with your databases and I agree, cut new ones.

A master database on your server is called, in terms of the sync setup, a "Publisher" and a remote is a "Subscriber".  That role belongs to the database and not the computer - I can have a mix of Publisher and Subscriber databases on the same PC. 

Subscribers, when opened, have sync options where as Publishers or stand-alone databases do not.

When I create remotes, those are Subscribers and typically the only way to make them Publishers (and therefore not able to sync) is if I back them up and then do a "Restore As".

Definitely recreate your remotes.  Hopefully you synced them beforehand otherwise you'll have to import the changes or manually punch 'em in to the new remotes.

Cheers,

Len

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training

sync is no9t an issue as they both are on the same netowrk as the server, so importing and exportig will not be an issue, been down that road before.

I just hate that 2 of the remote machines performed flawlessly while the 2 machines that were clean installs are the ones that are messed up.makes no sense since all i had to do was restore backups and update the database to 2011..
Silver Contributor

1) turn off UAC on win 7 machines.

2) if you were just upgrading ACT? why are you restoring from backup? Anything else going on?  What steps did you follow? This could have broken the system

When you say clean installs?  Was ACT on these machines before? or are you moving the RDBs from other machines?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Jon,

UAC was turned of post install.

Steps:

1. upgraded 2 machines from xp to win7

2. Installed ACT2011, previous install under xp was 2010

3. restored the database backup from prior to the win7 install

now the clients do not have the option to sync, instead they have full sync panel controls just like a server.

The operationg system in just fine, only the behavior of act.

Solution
Accepted by topic author bnewton@coelyngroup.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Bruce,
I think it was the restoring of the backup that may have done it. Did by chance the computer name of the machine get changed in the process of upgrading the O/S? This would have the same effect as moving the database to a new machine, which with a remote database cannot be done using backup/restore.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greg,

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the name change, yes I did change the names to names more like the rest of the network.

That make sense.

I will try creating the new rdb files this afternoon and see..

I will reply back once i know.

Bruce

Greg,

happy to report that you were on the money..many thanks and Kudos to you...

1 restored so far 1 more to go tomorrow am.

Bruce