Do you mean 

2011 Pre-sales questions...

Accepted Solution Solved
hc
Accepted Solution

2011 Pre-sales questions...

Hi-

Act 2011 sounds great, but I have a few questions:

1) How does the product work with Outlook with respect to sending and receiving emails? Are emails automatically attached to contacts? What if I import a contact from Outlook into Act - will that contact's emails automatically come over into Act? If a contact sends me an email will the message automaticlly get added to their contact history? If I view a company, can I also get a view of all the emails to/from the contacts at that company? Can I attach emails to opportunities?

2) Can I setup email-related smart tasks that send emails using Outlook rather than through the Act E-marketing service?

3) Have the issues with the trial install messing up MS Outlook been resolved? Alternatively, is there a hosted demo anywhere on the Act site?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author hc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: 2011 Pre-sales questions...

Hello HC,

1. Act! and Outlook integration: Once Act! is set up to use Outlook as it's composing program and the Act! Address Book has been added to Outlook - all emails that you initiate through Act! or Outlook will attempt to record to the Act! database (matching on email address).  Incoming emails received in Outlook will not automatically record to Act! history, but they can be manually attached (Quick Attach or Attach to Contact options).  If you desire all incoming to attempt to record to the Act! database, you can set up an Outlook rule which will do this.

Yes, you can view all of the History items for all contacts linked to a Company.  This is done by selecting the History tab when viewing the Company Detail view.

No, you cannot directly attach an email to an Opportunity.  But you can view the emails sent to contacts attached to the Opportunity by using the History tab in Opportunity Detail view.

2. Smart Tasks: Yes, there is an option for creating steps that send emails (without using the E-Marketing option).

3. Not aware of an issue with the trial installation causing a problem with Outlook. 

Yes, there is an online 'Test Drive' available through the www.act.com website.  Select Demo Center > choose Free Trial and continue through the screens.

4. Act! Mobile Live is our online service to sync your database with your phone.  There are add-ons available which will perform the same task, add-ons can be found at Act! Add-ons.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
hc

I forgot one question:

4) Is there a way for me to sync contacts with my phone directly wihout going through an online service? (or would I just sync with Outlook, and then sync Outlook with my phone)

Thanks.

Solution
Accepted by topic author hc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hello HC,

1. Act! and Outlook integration: Once Act! is set up to use Outlook as it's composing program and the Act! Address Book has been added to Outlook - all emails that you initiate through Act! or Outlook will attempt to record to the Act! database (matching on email address).  Incoming emails received in Outlook will not automatically record to Act! history, but they can be manually attached (Quick Attach or Attach to Contact options).  If you desire all incoming to attempt to record to the Act! database, you can set up an Outlook rule which will do this.

Yes, you can view all of the History items for all contacts linked to a Company.  This is done by selecting the History tab when viewing the Company Detail view.

No, you cannot directly attach an email to an Opportunity.  But you can view the emails sent to contacts attached to the Opportunity by using the History tab in Opportunity Detail view.

2. Smart Tasks: Yes, there is an option for creating steps that send emails (without using the E-Marketing option).

3. Not aware of an issue with the trial installation causing a problem with Outlook. 

Yes, there is an online 'Test Drive' available through the www.act.com website.  Select Demo Center > choose Free Trial and continue through the screens.

4. Act! Mobile Live is our online service to sync your database with your phone.  There are add-ons available which will perform the same task, add-ons can be found at Act! Add-ons.

Greg Martin
Sage
hc

Thanks Greg.

Before you buy let me warn you I have spent so much time trying to get outlook 2010 and Act 2011 to syn they actually refunded me my money. The syncing of the calendars works but if you have an existing contact list that is different then your ACT database they will not sync. Basically it does not work. It is the biggest head ache and I wish I would have not upgraded!

Copper Contributor

1) Will Excel one-button exports be restored for Office 2010?

2) Will there be a way to select Firefox as the default browser for web links?

3) When attaching a history or action item to an Opportunity, will the dialog box list the opportunities first (instead of Groups, as it does now)? I need fewer clicks to relate these things to Opportunities, which I use way more than groups.

4) Will integration with SwiftPage allow me to see an individual's response to an email campaign from within his contact record? i.e. recording a history item for John Doe when he opens a message, clicks through to a landing page, or forwards a message to a colleague.

5) Will quoting be restored?

Barry E. LaDuke
LaDuke Radiant Sales
Portland, OR 97222

http://www.LaDukeRadiantSales.com

Barry,

1. Not sure exactly what you are referring to here, but the from an Act! List view you still have the 'Export to Excel' option - this works with Office 2010.

2. No.  You cannot set Firefox as teh default browser for web links.

3. Don't know which version you are currently using, but there have been no changes in the dialog box lists from Act! 2010 to 2011.

4. You can see the number of clicks and opens for individual contacts, but you cannot see the individual responses.

5. Quoting restored?  The ability to create quotes exists in Act! 2011.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks Greg. Here's the deal -
1) I have Act! 2010. Excel export broke when I upgraded to Office 2010. No workie now. Are you telling me that Office 2010 and ACT! 2011 now talk to one another again?
4) Will the Swiftpage actually enter a history item in the contact for # of opens, etc, or do I have to go into Swiftpage?
5) Quoting also broke when I upgraded to Office 2010. It no workie with Act!2010 and I wanted assurances that it was fixed with the upgrade to ACT! 2011.

Regarding #2, that's too bad. I don't use IE at all. Firefox is my preferred browser, which means all the fiddling with IE preferences that most people do upon installation, I have to attend to when IE fires up from an ACT! link.

Regarding #3, it would be nice if I could order the placement of "Opportunities" above "Groups" when linking a history or action item to an opportunity. It is currently a little cumbersome to always have to scroll down the drop-down list to select Opportunities.

Issues #2 and #3 would be nice features to have - where do we flag those for the development team?
Barry E. LaDuke
LaDuke Radiant Sales
Portland, OR 97222

http://www.LaDukeRadiantSales.com

Ah, I understand now.

- Act! 2011 is compatible with Office 2010.  This includes Outlook, Word, and Excel, so the Excel and Quoting functions will work.

- Swiftpage will only record number of clicks to a contact on the Marketing Results tab.  There is an entry in the Histories tab, but it is used to feed the fields on the Marketing Results tab.  For details you would have to access your Swiftpage account.

For submitting Feature Requests, we have the Share Your Ideas board here in the community.

Greg Martin
Sage

I too had trouble until the latest SP1 patch was applied (01/19/11) on our server.  Now ACT 2011 for Web functions perfectly with Outlook 2010.