Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2011 Outlook Sync problems

Copper Contributor

2011 Outlook Sync problems

I really don't like the way Sage implemented the Outlook synchronization in the new version, and don't recommend anyone move up to this version if this is a feature they need. It clearly is very badly implemented. Here are the problems that I am having and have not received any response from Sage.

1. Emails are not automatically attached to the contact record, even when they are sent out of Act through Outlook. This doesn't happen consistently, though. Sometimes the emails are attached. Sometimes they are not. You have to manually attach them, and when you do so, the program cannot identify the contact when you try to automatically attach, even though the original email was sent from Act. No explanation from Sage.

2. Outlook synchronization settings are gone. You cannot control this process, filter it, or control its direction. That means, when Act screws up and somehow ruins ones of your databases, you cannot remove the imported (exported) activities and meetings and start again. Very bad programming.

3. Outook synchronization overwrites all customized meetings and activities with the generic "Outlook" appointments (and replaces a customized icon with the "email" symbol). Once your Act calendar has been thus destroyed, there is no capability to remove these appointments from Act, you need to trash your database. No explanation from Sage. Very badly programmed.

I would be interested to see how many others have experienced similar problems and if anyone has a solution.

Re: 2011 Outlook Sync problems

Hello - you think ACT in the US is bad - don't come to the UK

We have been unable to sync our Outlook Appointments and Calander since upgrading to ACT Pro, we have tried all the usual tricks, deleting metadata files etc

We don't sync contacts only the calender

can anyone help as Sage uk don't care

john

KTE

We are having the exact same problems. Sometimes emails link to ACT contacts, sometimes they don't, even when the email was sent from an ACT contact. Now, the attach icons in Outlook have disappeared and I can't find anyway to put them back. When I call to address the issues, Sage is much more interested in getting my credit card information than fixing their own program or helping me. VERY frustrated with them right now.

Can anyone help with the "ACT attach icons disappeared from Outlook" problem? We have ACT 2011 Pro and Outlook 2003.

Copper Contributor

There is a knowledge base article that may help with the Outlook email linking to Act. Act was not attaching any SENT emails to contacts. I searched under send Outlook, and found the KB article that indicates (another) programming bug. You have to make a manual alteration to the Windows Registry. After that, my emails all started attaching. I'm afraid that there will not be any solution however to synchronizing with the rest of Outlook. This is clearly a serious "logical" programming error, and, if Sage is true to its past performance they may address this is in a later release (which, of course, will be full of new bugs), but which you can purchase for only another $120!

I've the same problem I think...

Outlook's Act Plug In's have stopped working.  I have ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2.

Have tried the uninstall, reinstall ACT & no joy.

Help please!

Copper Contributor

The only solution to your problem that I have come up with is a complete reinstall, which is a bit tricky if you are not computer savvy. You have to get this information of off the KB. They have complete instructions for a complete uninstall, which means you remove all folders, settings and settings from the windows registry. They used to have a complete removal tool which did this automatically for you (most of the time correctly). One of the many, many, many defects in all of the Act products is their install/uninstall routines. I don't really know what the problem is with the company, but I have had several versions and the company simply has not hired very good people for this. When Act installs or uninstalls, it seems to "skip" certain checks and leaves in information which windows then uses incorrectly. This causes the program to malfunction, especially as it interacts with other Windows programs. They long ago stopped fixing problems, choosing instead to sell new versions that correct the bugs in the previous one. They simply have stopped addressing the horrible new synchronization with Outlook issues, which leads me to believe that a new version is under development and soon everyone who had problems with this version will be receiving an advertisement to buy the new version! Anyway, syncrhonization with Outlook is barely functional when you do get it to work, especially if you are synchronizing with other devices, too. I recommend you try the awful full uninstall. Reboot. Reinstall as an Adminstrator. Go slowly and carefully. Make sure no programs are running in the background. Make sure you wipe out all traces of Act on your machine (except for your data, of course, because you can reconnect to it later). Make sure you have a backup or two of your database as well BEFORE you start this, because the backup process in the new version is a littly buggy as well! If this is too much for you, get a computer tech to do it. It is relatively straightforward and shouldn't be too expensive.Man Sad

Boy, I thought things would better! I am not a computer person so what ever I find as a fix on this site will more than likely be done by someone we hire. Will monitor for any updates TX