Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2011 Database will not open

Copper Contributor

2011 Database will not open

I am using 2011, out of the blue, when I start ACT (yes even as the administrator) the database seems to open but the Welcome screen half populates and the program locks. No error message is given. 

I have restarted and checked SQL (ACT7) is running and it is. Thoughts?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 2011 Database will not open

[ Edited ]

Hello robcass,
So is the program actually stopping at the Welcome Page? Or at the opening splash screen?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I enter user name and password for the database. The database appears to be loading, then it crashes at the Welcome screen which is where I have my default start area for the database.

[ Edited ]

It may be an issue with your firewall or proxy blocking the external content that is loaded with Welcome Page. You can manually change the startup screen in Preferences:

- Close ACT!

- Click your Windows Start button. On the Start menu, either choose Run (XP) or go to the Search box (Vista, Windows 7)

- Type in %appdata%

- When the Application Data directory opens, open the ACT folder, then the ACT Data folder, then the Preferences folder.

- Locate the file USPreferences206.xml, right-click on this file and select Open With > Notepad

- Press Ctrl+F on your keyboard and search for Welcome

- Should you bring you to a line of code like this: <DEFAULT><![CDATA[Welcome]]></DEFAULT>

- Change the word "Welcome" to the word "Contacts". Save and close the file.

- Reopen ACT!. After you log into your database (if the login appears), it should open to your contact detail screen.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thank you
Astute Commentator

I am having the same issue, I changed it to contacts per above instructions and database still does not want to load, pop up screen says "logon completed" and the green bars are halfway. 

http://prijken.businesscard2.com

Hello prijken,

This may be caused by a damaged preferences file. Follow the instructions in KB Article 14770 to rebuild the preferences file. Use the alternate method in the second half of the article, not the ACT! Diagnostics method.

Greig Hollister

Astute Commentator

Hi Greig,

I got around it by opening a new database and then importing the data from the database that did not want to start, that worked, don;t think I lost any data.  Will try your suggestion to see if I can restore the original.

Thanks,

Pieter

http://prijken.businesscard2.com