Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2010 says it has detected an ACT7 instance that can't be connected-either entered incorrect password or SQL service may not be running. Any ideas???

2010 says it has detected an ACT7 instance that can't be connected-either entered incorrect password or SQL service may not be running. Any ideas???

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: 2010 says it has detected an ACT7 instance that can't be connected-either entered incorrect password or SQL service may not be running. Any ideas

Is this a real machine or a Virtual machine, if virtual, what software are you using?

Try this:

1) Stop the ACT7 service and the SQL Browser service

2) Open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /release"

3) Next type "ipconfig /flushdns"

4) Now type "ipconfig /renew"

5) Restart the ACT7 instance and the SQL Browser service

6) Attempt your procedure again.

This sounds like the TCP/IP information against the SQL ACT7 instance is stale and isn't broadcasting as expected.

Please post your results.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Re: 2010 says it has detected an ACT7 instance that can't be connected-either entered incorrect password or SQL service may not be running. Any ideas

Thanks, but how do I stop it?  I do not see it anywhere under Programs listed on the computer.  I have a new Dell desktop.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Go to:

Start|Run and type "Services.msc"

You should then be able to find the services.

You will want to renew the ip address information from a command prompt / DOS prompt. 

If this is a Vista machine, you will want to open the command prompt via "Accessories" and launch it by right mouse button clicking "Run as Administrator"

thanks

Matthew McFadden

I actually use XP, and under services I see SQL Server Active Directory Helper and SQL Server Browser.  Let me know if there is something else I should be looking for, as well as a bit more detail as to what I should do.  This is very frustrating and I want to keep ACT, but I need to be able to install/use it quickly.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Is this an upgrade or new install of ACT! 2010?

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Upgrade from 2009, which I was also not able to use.

Lance,

Please check your private messages.

I am having the same problems.  Also upgrading from 2009 because it had so many problems.  I have used ACT for 10 years, each time upgrading to fix problems, and each time encountering more problems and installation problems.

I have this problem and your fix did not work. I was not able to stop the SQL service for ACT7. I was not given the option to stop or restart.

PLEASE HELP!