Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2010 says it has detected an ACT7 instance that can't be connected-either entered incorrect password or SQL service may not be running. Any ideas???

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 2010 says it has detected an ACT7 instance that can't be connected-either entered incorrect password or SQL service may not be running. Any ideas

Hello Andy,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. What version of ACT! are you using? It sounds like your installation of the SQL Server may be damaged, in which case you will need to uninstall and reinstall it. Instructions for this are in KB Article 23401. You will also want to uninstall ACT!. After you uninstall both programs, reboot your machine and do a reinstall normally from your ACT! disk or download.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: 2010 says it has detected an ACT7 instance that can't be connected-either entered incorrect password or SQL service may not be running. Any ideas

Would this preclude me from purchasing and installing the latest version of ACT, or would I be able to install it with no problems?

Platinum Elite Contributor

I would still uninstall SQL Server and your current version of ACT! prior to installing the newest version, ACT! 2011. ACT! 2011 installs with and uses SQL 2008 whereas earlier versions use SQL 2005.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Super Contributor

Uninstall ACT, uninstall all SQL. Restart your PC. Unplus internet. Stop your antivirus, firewall, antispyware. Quit all applications. Install ACT.
Act 2010 v. 12.0.1.181 hotfix 1. -Windows 7
Highlighted

Also, ACT doesn't seem to allow me to choose Outlook for my email system (it isn't even listed) but I have Outlook on my pc and I don't want to use Outlook Express.  What has happened here?