Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2010 not able to restore database after reformat of PC

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

2010 not able to restore database after reformat of PC

I saved my ACT database & layouts to an external hard drive, via the ACT BACKUP process, before reformatting my PC to Windows7.  I then re-installed ACT 2010 onto the PC.  I am unable to IMPORT or RESTORE the database.  When I attempt to do either, the saved folders appear to be empty and I get a message that the "search did not return any results".  I can look try looking through Windows Explorer and teh folders have all the files in them, but they are not visible through the ACT IMPORT or RESTORE commands.  I am running ACT as an ADMINISTRATOR.  I also tried copying the files to my PC and EXTRACTING them from the zip file first.  No luck.

Michael

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author LEAS4U
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 2010 not able to restore database after reformat of PC

That could mean you already have a database with that name. Try the restore again and use a different name. If it is another process, then rebooting your machine should release that.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

If you did a Backup via the ACT backup process, the proper procedure would be to open ACT and do File, Restore AS. Then give the database new name and a location to restor to.

It's not a regular .zip file, extracting the zip will not work.  Also doing an import will not work either from the .zip format.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Tuned Listener

I tried RESTORE AS again as you instructed.  It still wants to select the database first and it won't select it saying "no items matched search.  I cannot even get to a place to name the new destination.  It wants to grab the original and it won't work.

Tuned Listener

Anybody else have any ideas?  This should be simple but...

Copper Contributor

Make sure you are pointing at the backed up .ZIP file through the ACT Restore drop down.  Then you should easily be able to do a restore as.

ACT 2010 Core Certified
Tuned Listener

thanks - any other ideas?  I have been going throught the drop-down menu but to no avail.

Tuned Listener

I also saw in another forum string, comments about too many characters in the root name.  When I backed up  the data, the external drive created a very long directory tree.  I tried moving it back up to a shorter level, but did not get anything out of that either..

Anybody have any ideas why this could be so difficult?  I would think that backing up your data, and subsequently replacing it, would be such a basic function of any software.  Why is this so difficult?  Why can't Sage make this more foolproof?  Somebody has to know how to do this, please.

[ Edited ]

Hello Michael,

Normally the backup and restore process for ACT! is very straightforward, so something is a little out of place. What exactly are the files you have for your database backup? And where are they currently located? It should be a single .zip file.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Greig,

The files are located on my external drive that I used before re-formatting with Windows 7.  There is a folder with the name of my database on the drive, as I located it.  When using Windows Explorer, you can see inside the various sub-folders.  They are: ASSEMBLIES containing a dll file, BACKUP containing various BAK files and one RESTORE_PAD.  There is also DASHBOARDS, LAYOUTS, REPORTS and TEMPLATES containing all the standard files, plus the CLY filies for the layouts I created myself.

If I drill through the directory via ACT, then all the folders seem empty.

In addition, when I re-formatted, the Windows upgrade said it would keep an OLD WINDOWS section on the drive with all the old files.  It is there and if I try to open the database in that section, I still get the same error - a vacant search.

[ Edited ]

Ok. The files you described sound like the contents of an ACT! backup file. You said these were in a folder on your hard drive. Is this folder a .zip file? If not, then it sounds like somewhere along the line your backup may have become decompressed, which means ACT! will not be able to restore it through the normal restore process.

Greig Hollister