01-04-2010 11:00 AM
When I compose to a recipient that is in my ACT Address book - the recipient is found (from the ACT database via the Outlook address book) without any problems (via "Control K", or "Tools/Check Names" or by selected the user via the Address book), but when I right click "properties" (to verify the email address) or double click the resolved recipient, I get an Outlook error of:
"Cannot perform the requested operation. The command selected is not valid for this recipient. Could not complete the operation. One or more parameters is not valid."
This is quite frustrating as I regularly want to check the email address that is going to be used. With ACT 2009 - this would report the ACT database used and the email address used.
When I upgrade to 2010, the address book integration was already in place from ACT 2009 - and the upgrade seemed to work fine. I have since removed the address book from Outlook, added the address book back in, removed the Outlook integration from ACT and re-added it again - in an attempt to resolve the problem...all without success.
06-24-2010 05:52 AM
03-21-2011 07:25 AM
I'm unable to reproduce this error message when double clicking on an email address within Outlook (email selected from ACT! address book).
Have you tested this with a different database? Try adding the Act! demo (or create a new database) to the Outlook address books and test.
If it is successful, it would point to an issue with your main database (try running Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair).
If it is not successful, try adding exceptions to your firewall and anti-virus software (they may be blocking communication). Here is an article with the exceptions to add: KB Article 25125
03-21-2011 02:22 PM - edited 03-21-2011 02:25 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I tried what you suggested...I created a brand new database, added a single contact and then ran the email connection wizard, updated the OL address book options within OL2007 SP3 - and still get the same thing.
Just for giggles I ran the check and repair tool you suggested - which I had used previously - and it did not report anything or appear to fix anything - but my "production" database still did not work (which is not a surprise - since my single user database does not either).
Any other ideas....
03-22-2011 05:13 AM
Could Symantec EndPoint protection be involved here? The support article suggests that it could be. How can I track/trace this down - as disabled Symantec is not trivial on a corporate laptop? Thanks...
03-22-2011 05:49 AM
After re-reading your message, I realized I was testing with ACT! 2011. I have now retested with ACT! 2010 and received the same error message you are experiencing. There isn't a 'fix' available for this in ACT! 2010 (other than upgrading to 2011). I will go ahead and submit this as an issue with the Outlook integration.
03-22-2011 09:08 AM
Thanks for the testing. As this worked with previous version of ACT (as I have been using act for some time) - it is clearly a bug with this version. Thanks for confirming it works with the next version. I had been reluctant to change/pay money when I did not see any indication that this was resolved in the next version - and would have been my only (main) reason to change.