Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2010 and Email recipient Properties/SMTP address Problem

Copper Contributor

2010 and Email recipient Properties/SMTP address Problem

When I compose to a recipient that is in my ACT Address book - the recipient is found (from the ACT database via the Outlook address book) without any problems (via "Control K", or "Tools/Check Names" or by selected the user via the Address book), but when I right click "properties" (to verify the email address) or double click the resolved recipient, I get an Outlook error of:

"Cannot perform the requested operationThe command selected is not valid for this recipientCould not complete the operationOne or more parameters is not valid."

This is quite frustrating as I regularly want to check the email address that is going to be usedWith ACT 2009 - this would report the ACT database used and the email address used.

When I upgrade to 2010, the address book integration was already in place from ACT 2009 - and the upgrade seemed to work fineI have since removed the address book from Outlook, added the address book back in, removed the Outlook integration from ACT and re-added it again - in an attempt to resolve the problem...all without success.

Any suggestions....Thanks...
Copper Contributor

Re: 2010 and Email recipient Properties/SMTP address Problem

Do others have this issue?  When I originally reported the issue I was using OL2003.  I have now changed to OL2007 - but the issue has remains.  I also have had to completely re-install on a new computer - and the issue seem consistent (persistent).  Thanks.
Copper Contributor

Help.  Can not believe I am the only one having this?  Paul

Platinum Super Contributor

I'm unable to reproduce this error message when double clicking on an email address within Outlook (email selected from ACT! address book). 

Have you tested this with a different database?  Try adding the Act! demo (or create a new database) to the Outlook address books and test. 

If it is successful, it would point to an issue with your main database (try running Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair).

If it is not successful, try adding exceptions to your firewall and anti-virus software (they may be blocking communication).  Here is an article with the exceptions to add: KB Article 25125

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  

I tried what you suggested...I created a brand new database, added a single contact and then ran the email connection wizard, updated the OL address book options within OL2007 SP3 - and still get the same thing.  

Just for giggles I ran the check and repair tool you suggested - which I had used previously - and it did not report anything or appear to fix anything - but my "production" database still did not work (which is not a surprise - since my single user database does not either).

Any other ideas....

Copper Contributor

Could Symantec EndPoint protection be involved here?  The support article suggests that it could be.  How can I track/trace this down - as disabled Symantec is not trivial on a corporate laptop?  Thanks...

Platinum Super Contributor

After re-reading your message, I realized I was testing with ACT! 2011.  I have now retested with ACT! 2010 and received the same error message you are experiencing.  There isn't a 'fix' available for this in ACT! 2010 (other than upgrading to 2011).  I will go ahead and submit this as an issue with the Outlook integration.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the testing.  As this worked with previous version of ACT (as I have been using act for some time) - it is clearly a bug with this version.  Thanks for confirming it works with the next version.  I had been reluctant to change/pay money when I did not see any indication that this was resolved in the next version - and would have been my only (main) reason to change.

Paul