Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2009 database will not open request password but never set a password up

2009 database will not open request password but never set a password up

Windows XP

Have been a long time user of Act but for the last 6 months I haven't been able to open my database.  It keeps asking for a password and I never set up a password.  There's only one person me on one computer. 

I've tried uninstalling the program, reinstalling, tried opening the backup, setting up a new databased and importing but it always askes me for a password.

I've had so much trouble for the last two versions of Act, all I want to do now is open the database and expore it into something else.  I don't want to upgrade at all.  Your process is just to expensive for 1 person, the software and the support.  It's redicious.

Tell me how to open the database or fix this.  This is real annoying.  Thinking possibly I did something stupid and set up a password I tried everyone I've ever used.  I have all my passwords written down in a book so there's never a mistake.  In my password book I have "no password" under Act.

Appreciate some answers.  And i'm not willing to be hundreds of dollars to get it -- that's just stupid business. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 2009 database will not open request password but never set a password up

Have you tried leaving the password blank?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes, many times
Copper Super Contributor

Restore a recent backup to a different location.

Okay tried restoring backup but not to a different location.  I will try this today and get back to you.

Tried doing this, however, didn't give me a choice of another place, it wanted to over-ride the previous database.  I allowed that to happen but when it came time to open the database it still wouldn't open.  Here's the error I receive.

"The database Eagle could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

This computer is a home computer, no network.  There's no firewall software on the computer that I know of or that I could find.

Copper Super Contributor

All the recent versions give you the ability to restore a backup to a new location.

Go - File - Restore - and then you should have 3 options, the 2nd of which is "restore as" where you can choose a new name and folder - and this will give you a new copy of your database, rather than restoring over top of what you have at the moment.

Sounds like you may have a file permissions or file sharing problem from your last post.  Did you recently change file sharing options for My Documents or so?  Sometimes these changes are applied to all subfolders.

My goodness. It worked. I'm floored.  Finally after 6 months of hell.  Finally over.  Wow.  Thank you seems so small in comparison.  I'm an master copywriter.  If you need an hour of my consulting time, I'm offering it as a thank you.
Copper Super Contributor

Glad you are up and running again!  :+)

I have another database that doesn't have a zip file to restore or a back up I can't open with the same problem it wants a password and there wasn't one ever given.  Any solution for this?

Also, is it best to give it a password in the future to prevent this from happening again?

Thank you.