Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2009: Automatically sorting Contact List view?

Tuned Listener

2009: Automatically sorting Contact List view?

Hi,

I remember that in Act!6, displaying the Contact List view didn't sort them

automatically. You had to click on the column header.

Fortunatelly, it was possible to record a startup macro that did the trick

when launching Act!6

Now in Act!2009, is there any way to sort that view automatically?

It is shown as one of the view when I start Act!2009 and I don't seem

to find the macro recorder either...

Also the help file talks about manually sorting this by clicking on the

column header, but what about have this view always sorted no matter what?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Steve JORDI

Re: 2009: Automatically sorting Contact List view?

Steve

The sorting regarding the contact list hasn't changed with the post ACT! 6 versions, any sort applied when you are on the contact screen is retained when you switch to the contact list. Clicking on the title of the column in the contact list has caused the contact list to be sorted by that column since ACT! 3. Regarding the macros, there isn't any macros in the post ACT! 6 versions though you can specify the contact list as your start up screen but the sort will be the default company sort.

A bit of personal trivia. Back in ACT! 2 the macros were very useful because they could incorporate the word processor and reports into a macro. In fact for over two years I wrote a monthly macro article for the Easy ACT! newsletter. Back then I actually created a macro that had the functionality of the activities series. Another macro that I created would print one sheet of 5160 labels for any contact in the database. With ACT! 3, the macros became limited in their utility because the word processor and reports could no longer be incorporated into a macro and there wasn't any keystroke access to the right click menus. I'm not surprised that the macros were dropped with the post ACT! 6 versions due to the limited utility and expanded functionality of the field triggers.

If you use macros a lot, you might want to look at a program called Typeitin from waveget.com. I mainly use it for inserting frequently used phrases or paragraphs in my writing but it can also be used to record macros.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Roy, thanks for your prompt reply

So if I understand correctly, the contact list view should retain it's sort settings.

but it doesn't. It's not sorted correctly, the first 10 contacts are as created and the last

ones are also "random".

Then I click the column header to sort them manually and they show up all correctly

from A to Z.

I quit Act!2009, come back and the Contact List view is not sorted. I have to sort it

each time manually. That's why I wanted a macro to just have the column header

clicked at launch time.

For your information, the contact list view is always shown and is part of my "desktop"

layout in Act!2009

I show the Contact List, the Task List, the Contact Detail and the Calendar on one main

screen.

Thanks

Steve JORDI

The contact list doesn't retain a sort, it reflects the underlying contact table sort. Anything that changes that sort, such as a lookup, will change the contact list sort. I suspect that may be whats happening to you.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Thanks,

but is there a way to set a default "sort" on the contact detail window that will

definitely put the contact list sorted alphabetically?
There is something I don't get there I'm afraid.

The way I work is mainly through the contact list view.

When someone calls me or when I need to send an email, I go to the contact list,

which I expect to be alphabetically sorted, select the contact and double click it

(I would have hoped the contact detail view would automatically  switch to that contact

with a single click) and then start working with that person.

If the contact list is not sorted, I have to browse manually through it or first sort

it manually, as I do.

I have the feeling you're telling me that the starting point is not the contact list

but the contact detail view to which I'm supposed to apply a "rule" (lookup...)

to then get a contact list correctly sorted.

Maybe I'm not working with the right axis in Act! and should think differently

when looking for a specific contact.

Can I set a default lookup somewhere so the contact list is always alphabetically

sorted? That's the only thing I need.

Thanks for your help.

Steve JORDI

Steve

Regarding your question about a default sort for the contact list, the only default sort is when the database is first opened, the database is sorted by the company field, even if that field is renamed. There are sub sorts for contact last name and then phone number. That means if some of the record have a blank company field, they will be sorted by the contact last name (the contact sort is actually by the contact last name).

Most of my user experience is with ACT! for the WEB which we use for our company database. However, I do have a personal database that I use in a manner similar to what you describe, namely that I sort the contact list for a lookup of contacts, then locate contacts on that list, double click to open the contact detail view, update the record there and then return to the contact list to locate the next record. I've never had a case where the contact list sort changed.

I suspect that I am missing something in your description and would likely need to view a demonstration of what you are referring to to be able to pin down what's happening. One possibility would be a remote link but with a 9-hour tiem difference, that wouldn't be easy.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

HI,

thanks for your reply.

Yes, ok I understand what you say. And you are right. All the contacts in my Contact List view

are sorted by... company. That's what causes it to appear not sorted alphabetically by lastname

And since I keep that view to show only "Contact" and "Phone", I never noticed that it was

company sorted. Interesting.

Don't worry, the simple way is to continue click the "Contact" column header once at launch

and then that's it, I can work the way I describe :-)

Regarding the 9 hours... well, I'll be on the pacific coast in about 10 days, but that's fine anyway,

I'll sort my list manually. I think I can afford doing one click in the morning, can't I ? :-)

Thanks for your help. Now I know how it works internally, it makes more sense to me.

Steve JORDI

I'm glad I could help. By the way, I checked out some of your photos and they are beautiful.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Ha!
Volcano pictures are always beautiful. The guy behind the camera usually is not responsible for that Smiley Happy

Steve JORDI