Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2007 v9 re-install stops at "Services MSSQL$ACT7 could not be started"

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

2007 v9 re-install stops at "Services MSSQL$ACT7 could not be started"

Latest installation had been working but then would not fire DBs on either PADs or ADFs, with error message "Failed to open a connection to the DB" per KB19408.

*) Started troubleshooting, but could not get any re-install attempt past "Services MSSQL$ACT7 could not be started. Error Code 1067”. From that point, multiple ‘Retry' attempts fail.  'Cancel' then completes the installation (except for SQL Server) but an attempt to launch a DB results in "Act.Framework.Interop.=...[my version number]...etc"

*) Install failures occur on both original disc ACT2007 v9.0.0.175, as well previously downloaded / installed upgrade to v9.0.1.162.

*) SQLServerDBEng.Updater fails because the SQL Server portion of the installation never completes

*) Tried both regular uninstall and full manual uninstall per KB19346

*) Tried uninstaller.exe per KB19338

*) Did all uninstalls, clean-ups, re-install attempts under MSCONFIG selective startup per KB 14499

*) In addition to starting each re-install attempt from a full manual uninstall of ACT, also tried scrubbing all .Net installations, patches, hotfixes, etc. after uninstalling all SQL components per KB19346

*) Tried to start re-install by manually installing .Net from installing CD first (Tried both .Net v1.1 for v9.0.0.175, as well as v2 for v9.0.1.162)

*) In manually scrubbing the Registry, have never been able to delete the Legacy driver instances of MSSQL$ACT7

If the last item is the problem, I need some help.  After a complete manual uninstall, there are no SQL services, Program files, etc. left under normal boot, etc. So I can't figure out why I can't manually delete the Legacy driver instances of MSSQL$ACT7 even when I boot/ install under a selective boot.

Any / all suggestions greatly appreciated.  Thnx
jnamrktACT

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnamrkt-act@yahoo.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: 2007 v9 re-install stops at "Services MSSQL$ACT7 could not be started"

Matthew: The utility SQLServerDBEng.Updater is on my installation disk.  I can’t dig out the reference at the moment (I think that it was info flag during a re-install attempt), but the notice said something like “You don’t have to re-install all of ACT! to correct a SQL installation problem, you only have to run this utility”.  But the utility does not execute because, I guess, the original installation of SQL Server never completed.

I rescrubbed everything again and attempted a re-install, with these results:

- .Net failed to install during the normal installation cycle. This is s new problem and, I guess, resulted from something that I did during the manual clean of .Net and SQL Server.  Anyway….

- I backed out, re-scrubbed, and manually installed .Net 2.0 from my ACT! installation disc, which went fine

- Then I updated .Net 2.0 from Windows Update but refused their push of .Net 3.5 because I was not sure if it’s compatible with my ACT! 2007 v9.0.1.162

- Restarted the installation process which cleared the .Net installation just fine, but choked at the same spot as before “Services MSSQL$ACT7 could not be started. Error Code 1067”. 

Actually I noticed that the service is started and then stopped, installation continues, and on a 2nd or 3rd restart of the service, the service cannot be re-started and the installation fails just as before. The full text of the error code is

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup

------------------------------

Service 'MSSQL$ACT7' could not be started. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services. The error code is (1067) The process terminated unexpectedly.

- I also got an installation error log from ACT!, which I can provide; it’s quite long so I did not append here, unless requested. And, I did not see an option to post an attachment in this forum.

There’s clearly something that’s preventing the ACT! disc to install SQL Server, but I don’t seem to have an option to install SQL Server separately, ahead of ACT!, as I did with .Net unless I can use the free SQL Server Express 2008 from MS.  Will that work with ACT!?

Any / all suggestions appreciated.

Thnx

jnamrktACT

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

When you say you are unable to delete the "Legacy driver instances of MSSQL$ACT7" from the registry, to what are you referring? Is there an error when you try to delete them? 

The registry keys under which you want to delete the subkeys starting with "MSSQL" and "SQL" are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application

* also ControlSet002, 003, 004 (if present)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application

In addition, prior to installing SQL, add a new key called Domain under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters key

Also, after manually removing the SQL keys, make sure you are rebooting before reinstalling.

Message Edited by ghollister on 07-21-2009 09:42 AM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Greig, Many thanks for your reply and info. 

The keys that I cannot delete are in

HKEY_Local_Machine\System\ControlSet  …Current, 001, 002, etc…… \enum\root\legacy_mssql$act7

…with description “SQL Server (ACT7)” and on Service “MSSQL$ACT7”  (which appears in the Reg even though, under restricted and full boot, there are no SQL or ACT services present after my full manual un-installs).

The error message is “Cannot Delete LEGACY_MSSQL$ACT7: Error while deleting key”

I had not seen anything in the various KB articles about the Domain key, so maybe that’s the issue.

Should I try other means to delete the legacy ACT7 keys, or just re-start the re-install after adding the Domain key?

Thnx again.

jnamrktACT
Platinum Elite Contributor

Personally, I can't recall ever having to delete that key when manually removing and reinstalling SQL. But, if need to remove it, then try increasing the permissions on the key first, then deleting it. Just right-click on the key, select Permissions, add the "Everyone" group and grant Full Control.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Regsitry keys under HKLM\SYSYTEM\ControlSet01 and ControlSet02 make no difference as these are mirrors of the master HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet. 

Typically, attempting to remove something from these 2 other areas will make no difference and may error if you attempt a deletion.  These keys eventually inherit what HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet has in it.

If you are still experiencing an error, what operating system are you using?

What Service Pack does the operating system have applied?

Please explain the part of the statement "SQLServerDBEng.Updater fails", I am not clear on what / where this is coming from based on the post.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Copper Contributor

Greig, Matthew: Many thanks for the comments.

Raising the Permissions did allow me to delete those remaining ACT7 keys.

The Domain key suggested already exists, with null value.

I am running XP Pro, with all service packs and hot fixes up-to-date per Windows Update.

Regarding “"SQLServerDBEng.Updater fails”:  I tried running this utility after the failed install of SQL during the main installation.  I knew that it was a long-shot because I figured that --running the utility after the failure--  would not work, and it didn’t.  So, I just wanted to report that I had tried that too.

Unless you have any other ideas, I’ll try a complete reinstall from disk over the weekend.  Maybe getting rid of those keys will take care of it.

Thnx again

jnamrktACT
Nickel Elite Contributor

Regarding “"SQLServerDBEng.Updater fails”, what utility are you speaking of?  Where did you get this, as I don't know what you are talking about here.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnamrkt-act@yahoo.com
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Matthew: The utility SQLServerDBEng.Updater is on my installation disk.  I can’t dig out the reference at the moment (I think that it was info flag during a re-install attempt), but the notice said something like “You don’t have to re-install all of ACT! to correct a SQL installation problem, you only have to run this utility”.  But the utility does not execute because, I guess, the original installation of SQL Server never completed.

I rescrubbed everything again and attempted a re-install, with these results:

- .Net failed to install during the normal installation cycle. This is s new problem and, I guess, resulted from something that I did during the manual clean of .Net and SQL Server.  Anyway….

- I backed out, re-scrubbed, and manually installed .Net 2.0 from my ACT! installation disc, which went fine

- Then I updated .Net 2.0 from Windows Update but refused their push of .Net 3.5 because I was not sure if it’s compatible with my ACT! 2007 v9.0.1.162

- Restarted the installation process which cleared the .Net installation just fine, but choked at the same spot as before “Services MSSQL$ACT7 could not be started. Error Code 1067”. 

Actually I noticed that the service is started and then stopped, installation continues, and on a 2nd or 3rd restart of the service, the service cannot be re-started and the installation fails just as before. The full text of the error code is

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup

------------------------------

Service 'MSSQL$ACT7' could not be started. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services. The error code is (1067) The process terminated unexpectedly.

- I also got an installation error log from ACT!, which I can provide; it’s quite long so I did not append here, unless requested. And, I did not see an option to post an attachment in this forum.

There’s clearly something that’s preventing the ACT! disc to install SQL Server, but I don’t seem to have an option to install SQL Server separately, ahead of ACT!, as I did with .Net unless I can use the free SQL Server Express 2008 from MS.  Will that work with ACT!?

Any / all suggestions appreciated.

Thnx

jnamrktACT
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Solved!

I’m back up-and-running, thanks to Greig and Marcus in Tech Support.

The root cause appears to have been an incomplete uninstall on .NET.  Steps to resolve / guidance:

1) If mysterious errors reoccur despite manual uninstalls, use the .NET framework cleanup utility referenced in article 22381. Although the link in that article now fails, a web search for the same utility does provide a link for a download.

2) Keep .NET at the release level specified for your product version.  In my case, I need to stay on .NET 2.0 (sp3) and refuse Microsoft Update’s request to upgrade to .NET 3.5

3) Similarly, keep SQL Server on the original version without accepting updates from Microsoft.  The free versions of SQL Express are fine, which means 2005 SQL Express SP3 for me.

4) After going through a manual uninstall and the .NET cleaner, we installed .NET first from its own exe, then SQL Express from its own exe, and finally ran ACT  …and everything went in just fine!

I want to thank Forum moderator Greig for escalating me to his colleague Marcus in Tech Support, and I want to let you all know that Marcus called almost immediately, set up an appointment at a convenient time, and walked me through everything in about 30 minutes via an interactive online session  …all despite the fact that I am long out of warranty. 

It was great customer support and very much appreciated!

jnamrktACT