Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2006 Standard won't install on Windows XP Pro SP2

2006 Standard won't install on Windows XP Pro SP2

I have spent many hours already removing registry keys, shutting down Act services, removing Act from the startup process because the Uninstall did not work on my machine. I have confirmed that I am doing everything under the Administrator privelege level.

I get the following from the main install:

1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime

I get the following from the ISSscript8 install:

Error 1721: There is a problem with Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

What I don't understand is that Quickbooks Pro 2007 installed perfectly fine on this machine. It seems like there is residual Act info on the machine but I have been on a multi-hour hunt and destroy for all the pieces that need to be removed as described on the Sage site.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 2006 Standard won't install on Windows XP Pro SP2

I'm getting exactly the same error when attempting to install.  I've found the guidance in the ACT! knowledgebase but get the same error that you mention when trying to install the Windows Installer from the ACT! CD.  Anyone else encountered this and willing to help out?  I've been working on this for a week and don't know how to fix this problem.

Yep.. tried this as well.  I get the same Windows Installer message 1607 when I try to install the ISScript8.msi file.  Very frustrating and I appreciate your help!

This seems as though it might be a Windows XP Installer issue... any way to resolve?

Try copying the entire CD to a folder on your hard drive and running the setup from there... sometimes it's a CD issue and this gets it working

I am having similar problems although I did get it to launch after restarted and removing the partial install.

But now when trying to start a new database get a message reading:

could not create the specified database.  Master was not found.

I did upgrade to the latest version of 6, 8.02 and still cannot find a way to move forward.

when trying to install an exisiting db get:

network connection and verify db servier is availble.  It may be necessare to disabel any firewall software on your computer or the srever...

even though my network is up and firewalls are turned off....

any help??????

Master not found is usually fixed with this ACT! Knowledge Base article

The firewall error is rarely the firewall, it means it can't connect and doesn't know why. Try each of the steps in this ACT! Knowledge Base article
Copper Contributor

In my experience it is 90% of the time firewall or Anti virus issues, try disbaling all AV and firewalls on both ends (MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET BEFORE DOING THIS)
Test and see if you have the same issue, if not then add the exceptions in article 19420 from the Act knowledgebase

If still the same issue then follow the instructions Mike added above.