2 gig of ram
XP SP2
32 bit

ACT! by Sage 2006 Version 8.0.2.82

Fully licensed.

More specifics on my system:

Issue:
Slow, slow, slow.
I have a custom layout but it's not that demanding so I don't think that is it.
I have been an ACT! user for years and know that it is a resource hog but this performance is almost unbearable.
For example...
If I have my calendar open then click on Lookup|My Record the screen goes to the Contact Layout, all of the fields appear, no field names, just the outline of the individual fields.  Then the screen starts to "render."  What I mean is that it looks like someone is holding down the tab key and doing so for 5 to 10 seconds.  Each field flashes.  Some fields only once, others many, many times.  Then the field names appear, the colors get set appropriately and everything shows up, including my contact information.
This process takes 16 seconds.  I know that doesn't seem like much but when I am going back and forth between different screens (contact, calendar, tasklist, opportunity list) this is MUCH TOO SLOW. 

I really have no idea on how to make it perform better and am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks,
GV
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: 2006 SLOW

Hi,

The first thing I would recommend is to turn off the Hardware Acceleration. I believe this will improve your over all performance

To do this, close ACT, right click on the desktop and go to properties. Click on the Settings Tab, then Advanced. Once the Advance Properties come up, click on the Troubleshoot tab and slide the Hardware Acceleration to None.

Test ACT.

Also, I'm including a link to a kb article with other tweaks that can help speed up ACT.

UNBELIEVABLE Smiley Very HappySmiley Wink

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Not only did this improve performance of ACT! It upgraded performace across the board.

I highly advise anyone reading this to go through the process AJones advised.

I did not disable the addon scripting as I use it.

However, I did everything else and it took my startup time from ~~ 2.5 to 3 minutes all the way down to 23 seconds.
As for switching between calendar and contact record... took the time from ~~ 16 seconds to 1 second.

Bravo Jones!  Braaaavo.

GV
Nickel Elite Contributor

In the specifications you listed, you did not list the hard drive speed. My guess if that it is no better than 5400 rpm and could possible be as slow as 4200 rpm, depending on the age of the computer. Because the ACT! program requires a lot of I/O, the preferred hard drive speed is 7200 or 10,000 rpm. Performance is significantly improved with the faster hard drive. You should also see a performance improvement if you upgraded to ACT! 2008. Another thing to check is the swap file. I generally max out the swap file settings and that will also help performance.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

[ Edited ]
Thanks.
I run an 80GB Ultra DMA 5400rpm.

And I did change the swap file.
Those instructions are in the link Jones gave above.

Message Edited by actusergv on 03-27-2008 09:33 AM

I'm trying to follow these instructions, but the everything in the TROUBLESHOOT tab is greyed out and the accelerator bar cannot be moved (it is greyed out). HELP?