Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2 companies, 2 databases?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

2 companies, 2 databases?

I run two companies with the same format of ACT! 2008 (10) but totally different customers.  I want to link to Outlook 2002 to attach emails and have a common Calendar.  I don't need to access both sets of customers at the same time.

Is it best to set up two seperate databases and if so, can they both link to Outlook?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Badger
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: 2 companies, 2 databases?

You could do this, and yes, they could both access Outlook independently.  If you used Outlook's calendar, you'd be sharing a calendar.

However, if you would like to share the ACT calendar, this would lean towards having just one database.  Then in Outlook, you could have individual email accounts for each company, so when customers received an email, it would be from whichever company you specify.  I've worked with companies with essentially two separate service lines, where the customers are "separate" from each other.  In those cases, use either the ID/Status field to tag a "type" of customer, or make your own field based on your separation needs.  Then ACT's lookup/filter features will allow you to work with just the necessary contacts as you need, and when sending emails, you tell Outlook what account to send from, what sig to use, etc.

Your only issue (there's probably more, this one just popped up) would be using templates, which use the My Contact info, of which there is only one per database.  I guess you need to decide what is of most importance - the sharing of the calendar, keeping them separate, etc.

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Badger
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

You could do this, and yes, they could both access Outlook independently.  If you used Outlook's calendar, you'd be sharing a calendar.

However, if you would like to share the ACT calendar, this would lean towards having just one database.  Then in Outlook, you could have individual email accounts for each company, so when customers received an email, it would be from whichever company you specify.  I've worked with companies with essentially two separate service lines, where the customers are "separate" from each other.  In those cases, use either the ID/Status field to tag a "type" of customer, or make your own field based on your separation needs.  Then ACT's lookup/filter features will allow you to work with just the necessary contacts as you need, and when sending emails, you tell Outlook what account to send from, what sig to use, etc.

Your only issue (there's probably more, this one just popped up) would be using templates, which use the My Contact info, of which there is only one per database.  I guess you need to decide what is of most importance - the sharing of the calendar, keeping them separate, etc.

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Richard

Many thanks for your very helpful response.

Ivan