Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2 - Advanced Query Questions

2 - Advanced Query Questions

Morning Everone,

I am a fairly new user of Act! (less than 1 year) and I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction as advanced search functionality in Act! is very frustrating.

My Situation:

Act Database has: 77,143 contacts (includes both prospects and customers) of which I have 298 companies (which in my database are my current customers)

Question #1 - is there a way that I can search through only the 298 companies and the contacts associated with those companies for companies or contacts that do NOT have a "to do" or some sort of action item associated with them? Basically i want to be able to see which companies or contacts need to be followed up on or that i have completely overlooked.

Question #2 - within the entire database I have is it possible to search all 77,143 contacts and get a report generated with totals for certain queries? i.e. How many contacts in my database are in certain industries - advertising, marketing, government? So that I may see a top down overview of how these leads are distributed between markets. Or am i limited to searching by specific industry and then just counting?

My Set Up:

ACT! Version - Sage ACT! Pro 2013 Version 15.1.108.0, SP1 (database is stored locally on my machine)

Office Version - Office 2010 Professional Plus SP1 (32 Bit) 

Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (32 Bit)

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 2 - Advanced Query Questions

Question 1 - Not for companies but for contact check Lookup | Contact Activity.

Question 2 - It could be done with a query but it would be tedious. Better would be a report with the appropriate breaks and counts.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy,

Would you kindly provide an example of your solution for question 1 and 2? I cannot find any search criteria where i can search for contacts without an open activity or without a follow up item. The reporting function i find extremely frustrating so any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Did you check the lookup menu, contact activity?

There is a third party book with comprehensive training information on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Full disclusure I wrote the reports chapters of the book.  The report chapters work for all version of the ACT! program since ACT! 2007.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy,

1. No I did not check the look up menu, contact activity... Until just now. - Thank you for your help 
  2. And if your chapters on reporting are anything like your community support answers I would rather just keep banging my head against the wall with Act.

Seriously - I get that you are probably doing this for free and that you probably deal with a ton of crap from ungrateful people however I stated in my OP that i was new to Act and after your reply to my post I thought i asked for your help in a very respectful way for examples and you respond with 2 one sentence answers... And a link to buy your book. NOT COOL AT ALL.

With all do respect, for your first question I answered in my first post with common notation, in ACT! and other programs, for menu references.

As far as an example for the report, it would be the report. If you use the link I provided you can download one of the chapters for free for as a sample. What is documented in the report chapters is the same information that I provide in one-on-one report training sessions.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129