Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Server threw an exception" when using WinFax cover page.

"Server threw an exception" when using WinFax cover page.

A year ago, after years of stuggling with XP, ACT8/9/10 and MSFax, I bought a Windows 98SE computer and started using ACT6, WinFax Pro 10.03 with a Windows 98SE computer.  I also use Office 2000.  I use this for business for Fax mail merges.  As I expected everything worked perfectly.  Until today.

Today I modified a cover page in WinFax and saved it under a different name.  I should have known that WinFax does not like stuff like that.  Now, when I click WinFax Options and check Include a cover page, I receive the error message, "The server threw an exception"

I tried the solution from Sage which is to rename the WinFax Data folder and start again.  This does not work.  I am tried uninstalling and reinstalling ACT and WinFax, many times, removed traces of WinFax from the registry, and tried lots of other desperate (and probably stupid) stuff but nothing works.

Can anyone out there help me?  I am on the point of reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling my software.

Thanks

John M

Re: "Server threw an exception" when using WinFax cover page.

Hello John

I'm not familiar with WinFax so I'm not sure what options/preferences are available.  Since this error started happening after you edited the cover page, have you tried replacing it with the original?  Is there an option to select a different cover page?

John, 

Where exactly do you get this error? in ACT! or in WinFax? I assume this is within ACT!'s WinFax options?

Do you have an more specifics on the error message?  is there a specific module where the failure occurs? 

If its a WinFax specific message, you may want to post a message in the WinFax Forums at http://www.getfaxing.com/forums/  

Platinum Elite Contributor

I know this is an old thread, but recently provided support to a customer with this same exact problem with ACT! 2000/5.0 ,Windows XP OS. I determined that this fault is caused by a bug in the WinFax SDK. It is not a specific ACT! problem, but the error is due to ACT! calling a WinFax SDK internal function called WinFax.CoverPages.Count when you click on "Use Cover Page" option under "WinFax Options" in ACT!   It is unknown what triggers this error, but I would expect that some modification to the WinFax's cover page library (as the OP suggests). 

An old posting in the GetFaxing.com forums, describes this problem, and provides a possible workaround.

http://www.getfaxing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124

Platinum Elite Contributor

Symantec owns WinFax and they have abandoned it.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy_Laudenslage wrote:

Symantec owns WinFax and they have abandoned it.

Yes, they sure did.