Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Don" is not accepted as a first name

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

"Don" is not accepted as a first name

Greetings from a first time poster. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and can suggest a fix or workaround.

We are running Act! 6.0 Build 6.0.3.979

We have recently discovered that if we create a contact with "Don" as the first name, many strange things happen:

- Don does not appear in the Salutation field - it remains blank.

- If we try to schedule a meeting and enter the last name in the With field, the contact resolves to the Last Name only. If  we try to type a comma after the last name, it immediately disappears and the cursor moves back to end of the last name. This means that we cannot create a meeting with any contact with the same last name using the With field. We have to go in through the Contact List and choose the correct contact.

- If we do a Last Name Lookup, the Contact named Don shows up as the first Contact with that last name, even if there is an Andrew or a Bill with the same last name.

- If we try to add the contact to a Group, it only shows up as the last name in both the Add/Remove choice list and in the list of Group members once it's added.

- If we manually type Don into the Salutation field on the Contact screen, the Salutation will be picked up for letters, etc. but not for Meetings, Groups, etc. 

Just to make this a little weirder, if we do a First Name Lookup of Don, there are 6 contacts whose first name (and Salutation) is shown as Don, but these are contacts that were in the database before we started to notice this problem. None of the newly created Don's show up. This tells me that our Act! recognized Don at sometime in the past, maybe even in an earlier version, but it's not recognizing Don any longer.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author DerbyDad03
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: "Don" is not accepted as a first name

Don is part of the default list of name prefixes (Don = Mr = Herr, etc.). One option is to edit the list of name prefixes in preferences and remove Don as a name prefix. Note that doing so won't change any existing contacts. they need to be corrected one at a time.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author DerbyDad03
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Don is part of the default list of name prefixes (Don = Mr = Herr, etc.). One option is to edit the list of name prefixes in preferences and remove Don as a name prefix. Note that doing so won't change any existing contacts. they need to be corrected one at a time.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Don is now Done (Finished, Gone, Kaput, etc.)

Thanks!

Thanks Mr. Laudenslager, this helped me as well
Bronze Super Contributor

I often remove "Don" and "Dona" from that list as I've got people whose first names are those.

Ben.

Roy,

I have Act Pro 2011.  I imported this d-base from Act 6.  I have had this problem with "Don" using both versions and have attempted your fix.  I found another recommendation by you that talks about re-parsing.  I don't know what you mean by that.  I have removed Dona in the name preferences as you recommended.  I did a check/repair/re-index.  I am able to search on all my Don's now.  However, there is one Don that doesn't show up.  I can't figure it out.  He was the Don I was looking up when I changed the name preferences.  I still don't see his first name in the list view, and when I e-mail him and him only a mail merge, his first name is blank.  All the other Don's and Donna's work.  I've re-entered his name.  The system didn't prompt "Don" in the salutation.  I typed Don in the salutation and still nothing.  Very strange.  But, at least all the other Don's now work.

Bronze Super Contributor

I suggest giving him a temporay middle name.

The dialog will pop up and ask you to clarify which name is his first, middle, last.

save the record, then edit his name to remove the temporay middle name.

What I suspect is that it's still got "Don" as his "Prefix" not as his "First Name".

Ben,

Totally works.  Had a few more like him I discovered.  Thank you so much!

Bronze Super Contributor