Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

help I've removed microsoft offfice and I'm still stuck

amy

help I've removed microsoft offfice and I'm still stuck

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere on the Forum... I have just installed ACT!6 on my computer. I couldn't open a new database (the "Manager was not found" message) so I followed this forum's online advice and removed the Mikcrosoft Small Business. I then removed ACT using the uninstall.exe and then restalled it using the selective startup. I have removed/disabled all security settings and firewalls. Despite having restalled the program I now can't open it. Added to my lack of miscrosoft office, and out of action security settings, it feels like I am getting myself into much more trouble each time I do something. I really could do with some sound advice as quickly as possible!

Kind regards

Amy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: help I've removed microsoft offfice and I'm still stuck

amy

Hi, no you are absolutely right- I meant Master...sorry.

So the situation is that I have followed all advice including disabling all spyware/firewalls, going into the run and sorting out the cliconfg. I have removed microsoft small office, I have done the recommended removal and install and still the same error comes up when trying to create a new database. 

Its Act!8.0 by the way.  

Kind regards

Amy 

Copper Super Contributor

What operating system are you using?

Are you on a limited user account - or an administrator account with full privileges?

amy

its linux.  I am an adminstrator (certainly of this computer if that makes sense)

Copper Contributor

Did you try to open the file by restoring it from a backup?   I believe I had to do that.

B-Boy

amy

I assume you are referring to the database itself? If so, no not from back up because though i moved Act! from an old machine, I did not bring the database with me (it is old, incorrect and the only good place for it is the bin). So I wanted to start from scratch and unfortunately though I know have the Act! on my pc, it won't create a new database (or even open the demo).

Nickel Elite Contributor

amy wrote:

its linux.  I am an adminstrator (certainly of this computer if that makes sense)

ACT! does not work on linux.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
amy

oh. thats confusing because it used to work on our unix server...

So basically I can't use Act! at all?

back to square 1 then!

thanks 

Nickel Elite Contributor

It was never supported but you could host the ACT! 6 database on a linux server using the Samba server but the program would not run on a linux OS.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com