Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

database is MISSING! Please help

database is MISSING! Please help

Hello...

I have Act! 6.0, which was recently acting funny on my laptop. (It would freeze while I entered notes, such that I had to "insert" a new note to continue typing, and if I clicked on the old note, it would look like it had gone blank, although the notes would be there if I didn't click on it...)

When I went to open Act! just now, it just gave me a blank screen. I went to My documents/Act/Database, and it only contained the Act! Demo database files.  In the "recent documents" file, I could see the name of my databease, but it said that the network was down (which has nothing to do with my database, because I am not using it on a network).  I did locate an icon with the database name and I moved it into the database folder, however, it won't let me open it.  The demo functions perfectly, but I cannot do anything to open my old file.

In all my years with Act! (and I've been a user since 1997), I have never experienced anything like this.

Did I screw up by moving the icon into the database folder?

When I do a search for my database's name, it produces 4 database icons with my database's name... But none of them open (nor do they show the correct amount of memory being used, even if they did open.)

I would appreciate any support you can provide!

Thank you in advance!!

LH in MN

Re: database is MISSING! Please help

One more thing...

I've been reading the forum and I found the Act! diagnostic tool, and one of the messages it gave me when I tried to scan my database was "critical error #53", but I haven't been able to find out what that means.

Is there a way to copy this database onto another machine and try to fix it there; or would reinstalling Act! make a difference?

Right now, I am afraid to do anything, just in case the missing or corrupted files are hanging out somewhere...

Thanks again for your help!

Nickel Elite Contributor

I don't have real good news for you, unless you have a recent backup that you can restore you may have lost your database. Without direct examination of the files on your system I can't tell you if there is a chance of recovering your database. Because SAGE no longer supports ACT! 6 you need to contact an ACT! Certified Consultant that is familiar with ACT! 6 to see if they can recover your database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thank you, Roy,

But is it really possible that it can be "missing"? Especially when I see it?

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this? My logical brain is having a hard time wrapping my mind around this.

Thanks!