Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

act 2005! or 2006

Copper Contributor

act 2005! or 2006

i know with 2009 and 2010 each user demands a license and that with the regular verisons you can only have 10 users, regardless of licesned or not, connect to a database.  with earlier versions that use the sql for the database, are there limits to how many users can connect to the same database at one time?
Silver Contributor

Re: act 2005! or 2006

Some of your facts are a little confusing. So, i'm not sure of exactly what question you are asking?  1) how may people can I have use ACT without purchasing licenses for them or 2) how many properly licensed people can use an AC database at one time.    You have always needed 1 license per user, even in the ACT 6.0 days.  The ability to circumvent this requirement has gotten stricter in recent versions. Also, since ACT 2005 aCT has has a SQL backend with the current version being SQL 2005.  The prior version of ACT 6.x and earlier used a proprietary Foxpro database.

Properly licensed, in ACT 6.0, we saw performance degradation based on useage at 10-20 users and sometimes less.  In a sync only environment, we were able to do quite a few more users, but management of this database was a nightmare.

In ACT 2010, with the desktop produce (Premium with SQL), it is possible to have upwards of 40 or more concurrent users with proper hardware and many more using ACT for web and Sync.   We had 80 users in the desktop version at one time with almost no degradation of performance.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

i apolgoize for the sloppy way i wrote my question out.

i do indeed want to keep things legal.  we are currently using act 2000!  it is not a premium version.

i know with act 2009 or 2010, you need the premium, because the regular versions only allow 10 concurrent users to connect to a database at once.

my question is, is there a 2005! premium or 2006! premium that i have to buy, or is the regular version of these acts able to have multiple users connect (we are an office of approx 25 users, though only about 20 will be in the database at one time (admins wont be in it that often)

i hope this clears up my earlier confusion

Platinum Elite Contributor

The standard version of the ACT! 2005 and later database will only allow 10 active user definitions. If the 11th user tries to activate their connection to the database, EVEN IF NO ONE ELSE IS LOGGED INTO THE DATABASE. they will be rejected. Defined users for a database can be Active Pending Login, Active or Inactive. The critical number is the number of users that are active, whether they are logged in or not.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129