Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

act 2000! is very slow

Copper Contributor

act 2000! is very slow

in our office i am getting complaints about act running very slowly.  each user has a copy of act!2000 on their PC's and the ram for each PC is anywhere between 750MB to 1.5g.

last week i reindexed and that seemed to take care of the issue, but now people are telling me that they get booted out and told that they are out of memory.  i know to increase the VM and to be sure its not video card related and i have done that (both checking the driver of the video card and increasing VM).

i know we are running a legacy version of Act, but are there any other ideas out there that you can suggest for me to do to stop this issue.  it takes about 3-5 seconds for people to move between records at times and they find this unacceptable.

thank you

Jerry

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: act 2000! is very slow

How many contact records? How many History and Note records? How many activities, open and closed? They all add up and slow tthe version of ACT! you are using down. That's why the ACT! program was rewritten to use a SQL database. My advice, upgrade.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

How many contact records? - 16230

How many History and Note records? - most if not all have some type of notes inserted

How many activities, open and closed? - activities, some have alarms set up on them and some dont and i do not think anyone attaches anything to the record as far as a word document or otherwise

the perplexing thing is it is ok on some computers and not others.  i am not sure if this is user related or computer related.   i have ordered more ram for the one problem computer/user to see if that will fix it.  i am getting the suspicion because one is having issues the others are just jumping on the bandwagon

They all add up and slow tthe version of ACT! you are using down. That's why the ACT! program was rewritten to use a SQL database. My advice, upgrade.

i am definitely arguing that way, but people do not like to spend money, sadly

Fro ACT! 6, 16,000+ contacts is a fairly large database. While I believe the only real fix is to upgrade, here are some things to check.

Use ACTDIAG Quich Check to find out how many records there are in each of the database tables.

Make sure all past activities are brought currect or closed.

Use database maintenance to remove old cleared activities, I would suggest older than 3-months .

Take note of exactly when the performance problems happen, is the Note/History or Activities tab open?

If it's one specific user, try logging into the database as that user from a different workstation?

Do any of the users attach documents located on their local hard drive to the database located on the net work?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

If you need to use ACT! 2000, you should make sure you have version 5.04 and that you have disabled Opportunistic Record Locking as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1067...

You should also run a repair (including Scan and Repair) as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1146...

Also make sure noting is filtered in the Notes/History tab and the email field is not added to the Contact List View - both of these slow the older versions down a lot.