Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

XP or Windows 7 with ACT6

XP or Windows 7 with ACT6

Have run ACT6 since its release. Currently run XP but need to either upgrade to Windows 7 or buy a new (rebuilt) XP PC as current one is apparently beyond repair. I am aware of issues with Windows 7 with ACT6, but are any of the known problems unable to be successfully addressed by a competent person (not me)? I will have an IT tech involved in data transfer, etc on upgrading but should I consider getting someone involved who is ACT 6 accredited rather than have a tech find his way around any problems that arise? (If so where would I find someone in Melbourne who is accredited)?

As a second query, would I need to upgrade ACT to use it with cloud technology?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: XP or Windows 7 with ACT6

If you also update Office, you'll have to upgrade ACT! to a current version

There are a few good guys in Melb... I can recommend Act Today and SimplyPC from this list:
http://www.glcomputing.com.au/support/1

What do you mean by "cloud technology"? This means very different things to different people.

Currently, you could have access to remote servers in any version of ACT. My preference is multi user access with ACT v6 and using my own server with remote users connecting with RDP, remote desktop program. It's fast and 100% reliable and easy.

RDP has proven 100% reliable, the software is well tested. Access to a server database within a wifi network is also very dependable. Out and about on the field is subject to mobile connectivity, within the office environment, I've experience close to 100% reliability and access with about 14 users.

You might want to reconsider. A site that I work with just switched my access freom RDP to WEB based access because RDP isn't sufficiently secure and is being used as a means to attack the host computer. Just a word of caution. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks on the note for security. A compromise in security is an issue for most Win Pcs, some MACs and in the future mobile devices. After successfully connecting with RDP, locally and remotely for over 14 months, I've found this the most effective & cost effective. I looked at and tried ACT Web access & it has yet to mature into usefulness. For simplicity and practicality, ACT v6 beats my ACT v2010 any day. I would like to go beyond the 600,000 record limitation imposed on ACT V6. I haven't tried this with ACT V2010. It took forever to even load 10,000 records and it used a lot more disk space.

600.000 records in ACT! 6!!! You must have slipped an extra zero or two in there. ACT! 6 will not handle 600.000 records With all due respect either you have been blowing smoke with your posts here or you made a mistake when you entered that number.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I pulled up that Illinois DB and it has 687,967 records. You obviously have never encountered this before. It took about 4 to 5 days to create it, as I ran it on a different PC and occasionally checked on it, caring more about completion of the creation. It uses about 2Gb of space, which is small enough to have multiple DB of other states. ACT V6 is great for data mining and speed is fast with such a size. I know I maxed the storage capacity because when I extract SIC code data, there is still missing records. How can I exceed this constraint and how can I search and extract over multiple databases?

Roy ... I have ACT! 6.0 databases with 500K-600K

Providing you have limited notes/histories/groups/activities, and a LOT or RAM, it can be done. But will be a lot slower than ACT! 2012 properly configured