Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Windows 7 with Act 6 and Office XP, Word 2002 Problem

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 with Act 6 and Office XP, Word 2002 Problem

I just intalled Act 6 on a new computer with Windows 7 and everytime I try to do a "Write" it gives me the error:

ACT! could not open your word processor.   This may be a result of

inadequate security permissions in Windows, Microsoft Word 2000,

2002, or 2003.

I was running on Windows XP without any problem but cannot get this to work in Window 7.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Windows 7 with Act 6 and Office XP, Word 2002 Problem

It appears that the problem was not having Admin rights.  The solution that worked for me was after installing ACT right clicking the icon to and selecting "Run as Adminstrator" 

To avoid having to do this everytime, right click the ACT icon select Properties.  Select the Compatibility Tab up top and check the box under  Priviledge Level to Run this program as Administrator. 

This appears to be working for now...and helps avoid tampering with the registry.  After changing the permissions in the registry I was able to get Act and Word working together but could no longer play an mpg in Media Player?...had to do a system restore and start again... I think it could have all been avoided by simply using the fix above.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

First, you should be aware that both Office 2002 and ACT! 6.0 have known problems with Windows 7.... although, some people have got them running.

Some tips that might help:

1. Did you install Office before ACT! (you have to have Office installed first)
  2. Are you running Norton Anti Virus? If so, ACT! 6.0 won't be able to connect to Office. Uninstall ACT! 6 and NAV, then reinstall ACT! 6
  3. When you install ACT! 6 you must have full Admin rights. As users don't have this in Windows 7, you need to right-click on the ACT! 6 install and select "Run as Administrator"... you should uninstall ACT! 6 first.

If that doesn't help, see this ACT! Knowledge Base article -
http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1042...

If you can't access the article it links to, send me a Private message (icon at top-right of this site) and I'll send a link to get a copy.

Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

It appears that the problem was not having Admin rights.  The solution that worked for me was after installing ACT right clicking the icon to and selecting "Run as Adminstrator" 

To avoid having to do this everytime, right click the ACT icon select Properties.  Select the Compatibility Tab up top and check the box under  Priviledge Level to Run this program as Administrator. 

This appears to be working for now...and helps avoid tampering with the registry.  After changing the permissions in the registry I was able to get Act and Word working together but could no longer play an mpg in Media Player?...had to do a system restore and start again... I think it could have all been avoided by simply using the fix above.

Tuned Listener

Would the same fix also work with Winfax 10.3?

Maybe... see http://www.getfaxing.com/winfax/2009/10/28/windows-7-and-symantec-winfax-pro/

But having it virtualised that way, you won't be able to connect with Win7 apps or any not in the same virtual space

Tuned Listener

Yep, I've read that before and only use Winfax with Act.

Can't get Act2006 to run on Windows7 even in the compatibility mode. I have 64 bit. Any help?

You won't be able to. ACT! 2006 used Microsoft's SQL 2000... and Microsoft never made SQL 2000 to run on Vista or Windows 7

You'll need to upgrade - but it's worth it. The later versions are much faster and much more functional

GL Computing, you state later versions beyond Act 6 is faster.  I found this to be incredibly untrue which is why so many people went "back" (forward really) to 6.0.  The newer version took MINUTES to load and 5 times longer to search for a contact than 6.  If the later version worked, I doubt there would have been so many people refusing to "downgrade" to later versions.  Unfortunately, I am not in the same situation as many others who want to keep the old/stable/great version of Act but need to move on to Windows 7. We may have no choice to either use a later version of Act or more likely, find another contact database program.

In the event Sage might have finally gotten it right, can you answer a few questions?

1 - Does Act load up in less than 30 seconds?

2 - Does it take less than 3 seconds to Look Up a Contact?

3. Will it synchronize with Act 6x versions?

4. Will EVERYTHING as in EVERYTHING carry over into the newer version (Notes, Custom Fields, etc)

5. Does it work with BB software?  BB does not work with anything later than 6x from what I've heard.

6. Does anyone else know of a contact database than can match the good old fashioned Act 6x?

Here are some answers related to my system 

JohnnyGP wrote:

In the event Sage might have finally gotten it right, can you answer a few questions?

1 - Does Act load up in less than 30 seconds?

Less than 10 seconds 

2 - Does it take less than 3 seconds to Look Up a Contact?

Les than one second in the demo database 

3. Will it synchronize with Act 6x versions?

No 

4. Will EVERYTHING as in EVERYTHING carry over into the newer version (Notes, Custom Fields, etc)

As you have stated it, no.

5. Does it work with BB software?  BB does not work with anything later than 6x from what I've heard.

I assume that was an addon so you would need to check with the addon vendor. Other than Email and Word Processing, the ACT! 6 program did not provide the links to other programs. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129