Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Win 7 32 Bit with Act 5.0

Win 7 32 Bit with Act 5.0

I am hoping someone can help me, I am totally stumped.  I have installed ACT 5.0 on a W7 64 bit machine with no issue, I can run the ACT WP no problem. 

I just installed ACT on a Win 7 32bit machine using my domain admin  log on.  It's fine and I can launch the Act WP no problem.  When I log on as the intended user (who is a member of power users and local admins) I get "Failed to connect to WP: Act wp"  I was also getting the drivernot running error, that has seemed to go away now.

I have tried the steps in the KB 11973 to no avail.

I do not understnd why the domain admin causes no issues.  I have no issues on my PC which is the 64 bit.  When I try to run it under the user of the machine it won't run?  It's the same machine.  I have even uninstalled and reinstalled under the inteded user log on, that did not work either.

I am stumped. 

Please help! 

Silver Contributor

Re: Win 7 32 Bit with Act 5.0

You will see throughout this news group various tips and tricks on how to make this work with various levels of success.  However, most are more trouble that you may find it worth. ACT 5,0 is 8 versions out of date and does not officially work with that OS.    Some things you may see are certain features breaking and potential data loss due to corruption.  be careful, but as I said, you may see several sugestions from people who have made this work.  Upgrading is still our best sugestion at this point.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

I actually have the newest version,however until I can get all users up and running at one time, I can't upgrade.

It's very odd that it works under domain admin but not local admin.  ACT works fine, it's just the WP that is the issue.

Platinum Elite Contributor

thank you for the information.  I have made the registry changes per the kb...are there others that you can advise me?

Silver Contributor

the problem with the KB you mentioned is it was written before and doesn't apply to Win 7.  Win 7 locks things down differently, so most likely there are registry settings that weren't there or didn't apply before. Sorry.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

A cpmment on the problems of running ACT! 6 and before on Windows 7. ACT! 3 through 6 used a basic platform that was designed to run on Windows 95. While there was some updating, many of the operating system entry points and functions used by ACT! 3 through 6 date to that operating system. As a general rule, Microsoft maintained the legacy operating system entry points and functions until Vista. With Vista and Windows 7 many of the operating system legacy entry points and functions were no longer actively supported. This is why one installation of ACT! 5 or 6 may work and another not and why they may work for a while and then stop working.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

After alot of testing this morning, I have finally been able to get it to work...

I changed the permissions in the registry but that did not work.  Not just adding the everyone group but I also added the specific user and gave him full control rights. As stated, that did not work.

What I ultimately ended up doing was completely uninstalling the program.  I had UAC on, so i turned it off, and reinstalled the program for the specific user not all users.  This worked.  What I don't like is that the user must have local admin rights, a power user doesn't work.

I removed the permissions I set in the registry and it still works.

This is obviously not an optimum solution but for a temporary solution until I can get all the users on the new machines and get everyone upgraded all at once really have no choice.

Thanks again