Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Will updating 6.0 to Windows 7 be easier than to Vista?

Will updating 6.0 to Windows 7 be easier than to Vista?

Trying to update 6.0 to 2009 Vista was a nightmare. Something to do with SQL server. Trying to update messed up my computer so bad had to spend hours with ACT techs and then more hours with Microsoft techs to finally get computer back working. Sent ACT 2009 back for refund. 6.0 works fine, but would like to update so to keep current technology. Does anyone know if/when ACT will come out with a Windows 7 update. Vista isn't much better that Windows ME was, so maybe if I upgrade Vista to Windows 7 when it comes out and ACT for Windows 7, this may be the best answer. Any thoughts??????
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Will updating 6.0 to Windows 7 be easier than to Vista?

Windows 7 uses the same core as Vista however it is supposed to have many of the problems with Vista cleaned up. From my experience with other products, both hardware and software, the name change to Windows 7 is an admission that Vista had so many problems that the name itself was no longer acceptable. I've seen this happen before with other products.

As to the ACT! program and Windows 7, development does do advance testing  with preproduction versions of Windows but final testing and support will not take place until they are able to test the ACT! program with the actual released version of Windows 7. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I look forward to Windows 7 and new version of ACT.  i am on xp pro and Act 6.  the new versions of ACT are much slower than act v 6 and i am unwilling to mvoe to new version to have slower response.  how the speed issues will be fixed in both windows 7 and new version of act otherwise i will remain in the fast old dark ages.

It's interesting reading your experience.  I upgraded to Act!11 and it was a nightmare. I didn't know I could return the program for a refund.  I had even paid for a year of support.  My computer slowed down to a crawl.  Sent it out to a computer guy who is very familiar with Act! and he told me the SQL server corrupted the partitioning.  I was able to export all the data out into an excel file, upgraded an old computer with more memory and a bigger hard drive, and reinstalled Act!6 and imported all the data. 

The only problem I have with Act! 6 is that I can't export out an email list.  I want to do some internet followup wiht iContact, but don't know how to get the data out that they'll need.  Does anyone know how to do that?

Linda

My take on the problems you had with ACT! 11. It sounds like your system was setup with a partitioned hard drive and I suspect that the C:\ partition was kept small. This was a trick used by many people, myself included, in the pre-Windows days for a couple of reasons. For some reason the early DOS operating system flle manager could find drives faster than it could find long folder paths. The other reason was that if you wanted to compress a drive  for increased storage it could not include the operating system. Setting the system up that way did not cause problems with PC DOS because it ran one program at a time. Setting up a small C:\ partition with Windows is not a good idea. The Windows file manager is better, Windows employees virtual memory and many things run as services. I suspect that what happened in your case involved the installation of the MSSQL server as part of the ACT! 11 install. The MSSQL server installs on the same drive as the Windows operating system. If in your case this was a small partition and your swap file pointed to the same partition, that could have caused the problem you had.

Without examining your system I don't know if my idea is correct but I suspect it is. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Ray,

I don't know if that's the problem or not.  I have an old 2002 Sony Desktop, and it was partitioned that way.  I only had 13G on the C Drive and about 60G on the D Drive, and 1G of Ram.  The C Drive was so full that even when I removed every data file and program that I knew I could re-install, I barely had the space on the drive to defrag it.  When my laptop crashed, I took the old computer over and had a much larger hard drive installed and the C drive has much more space.  I still have problems with it, though, because they just transferred over the D drive as a file on the C drive.  So it's difficult to get to my documents folder.  sometimes things get saved in the doc's folder on the C drivve and sometimes on the D drive.  It's wreaked havoc with my Paperport program.   Also none of the Windows updates can be installed.  Thank goodness it already had the security update #3.

The laptop only had a C drive, but it only has 1G or Ram.  After I uninstalled Act11, it was still extremely slow, so in all my wisdom, I uninstalled the SQL servers I could find and now it won't open Firefox or Explorer.  It's a paperweight now.  

Biz is very slow right now, and even though I know I can get a new desktop with all the Ram and harddrive space I need, I can't afford to do it for a couple of months, at least.   I paid for a year of support with Act11, and by the time I get the computer and could reinstall Act11, it will have expired.    

The only reason I went to Act11 in the first place is because I couldn't figure out how to export contacts with email addresses, and I wanted to use Swiftpage.   I love Act6.  I'm just a very small, owner operated business with no employees, and would probably never use 90% of the features in Act11.  I always have to learn everything the hardway.  Think I'll start attending the Act user group in San Jose.

Linda

With the additional information, I can add to what caused the system to be slow. I suspect the old hard drive was a 4200 RPM hard drive, especially in the laptop. ACT! is an I/O bound program so the faster the hard drive, the better. The best suggestion I could make going forward is very painful, it's called nuke and pave. That is backup your data files (if you don't have one consider getting a USB external hard drive, I use one to daily backup my data files) then reformat the hard drive and reinstall your software.

I do wish you luck and if I can be of help, let me know. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

That's already been done.  I'm not sure about the speed of the hard drive.  I'll have to turn in on and see if I can find that in properties.  But it's good information to have for when I get my next computer.  Thanks.

Linda

Linda Yazell wrote:

That's already been done.  I'm not sure about the speed of the hard drive.  I'll have to turn in on and see if I can find that in properties.  But it's good information to have for when I get my next computer.  Thanks.

Linda

Annoyingly, it's not in properties... but, if you look at the model number and manufacturer and put that in Google with RPM, you should be able to find out