Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why upgrade from ACT! 2000 (5.0)?

Why upgrade from ACT! 2000 (5.0)?

Hello,

I joined a small firm financial services firm that is using ACT! 2000 ver. 5.0.  We have 7 users accessing our database, 4 advisors and 3 staff.  I''m not sure how many customizations have been done, but there seems to be a consensus around here that done a fair amount of customization.  I'm new to the office and don't know that much about ACT!, but am the most technical person in the office.  My biggest concern is that we're on an unsupported version.  If we came in tomorrow and found a seriously corrupt database, we might have a lot of trouble.

We are generally happy with ACT!, especially the fast calendaring in the Daily and Weekly Calendar Views.  We are running Windows 2003 Server, Windows XP clients, and Outlook 2007.  I believe we would gain Outlook compatibility with an upgrade, but there seem to be some users that have complained about a serious slowdown in speed.  I'm not so concerned about what fancy features we'll gain with an upgrade.  I'm more concerned with moving to a supported product.  For our purposes I'd prefer to talk about the 2009 version (version 11.0?), not the most recent version that is out or coming out shortly.  I'd prefer to run something that's been around for at least 1 year.  My question's are:

1. What is going to force us to upgrade?  Windows 7?  Something else?  .NET Framework on our clients?  As we buy newer and newer client PCs I'm trying to anticipate a showstopper before we hit one.
  2. What would the licensing and support costs be to upgrade to the latest version?  (I know there will likely be conversion costs too.)
  3. Is the user interface so new that we would effectively feel like we're on a new product?
  4. What would be the likely single biggest hurdle to converting to the laciest version?
  5. What are they recommended (forget minimum) requirements for the server and client PCs to run the latest version with 7 clients?
  6. What's the 9 user limitation I noticed in the upgrade posting.  Are we limited to to less than 10 users with latest version? 

We have the option to "upgrade" to our broker/dealer's customized Microsoft CRM.  I'm generally suspect of Microsoft's capability in this area so I'm not advocating for a switch, but the licensing cost to us would be $0.00.  However that would be a hosted solution.  Is there any reason we should consider a Sage/ACT! hosted solution?  If so, would those costs be different than using a local version?

Thanks in advance,

Phillip  

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Why upgrade from ACT! 2000 (5.0)?

1. ACT! 5.0 will have issues in Vista (probably W7 also) and won't work with new versions of Office. ACT! 5/6 didn't use .Net so doesn't care

2. Best to speak to an ACT! Certified Consultant from www.act.com/acc

3. Upgrade training is probably going to make your life easier

4. Having up-to-date hardware and clean installs of Windows and .Net 2.0

5. 7200rpm or better for HDD speed (older 5400rpm drive are a problem); 1GB RAM if XP, 2GB for vista or W7 on workstations (server RAM depends on what else it serves)

6. 9 with standard, more users requires ACT! Premium

I usually prefer and recommend a local database that you own and control. ACT! hosting can also sync to local copies for you.

You will have a MUCH happier experience if you get an ACC to assit you with the implementation. You might find this useful:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/02/how-to-pick-right-crm-implementation.html

You might also look as the comparison PDF linked near the top of:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/07/thoughts-on-act-2010-beta-act2010-good.html

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Why upgrade from ACT! 2000 (5.0)?

I agree with everything Mike said about upgrading. I would add one comment regarding hosted verses local, a hosted database has its place, in fact Tech Benders share our business database as hosted ACT! for the WEB  database because we telecommute rather than work out of a common office so the hosted database allows us to have real time access to our business data. However, the hosted database is slower than a local database because of internet latency, that is the time it takes for a message to go from my computer to the host, be processed and then returned.  
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129